Police find battery victim on N Brooks Street

Madison police found an intoxicated, bleeding battery victim lying in North Brooks Street early Sunday morning.

According to a Madison Police Department statement, police found the 23-year-old at the corner of North Brooks Street and Spring Street crying in the middle of the road and took him to a hospital to be treated for facial fractures.

The victim was “uncooperative” with police and medical professionals and swore at them when they tried to explain they were helping him, the statement said.

“He’s found in the middle of the street and he’s bleeding,” MPD spokesperson Joel Despain said. “He’s crying and he won’t tell us anything.”

Witnesses called police after seeing a fight on the street, the statement said. However, when police arrived the victim was the only person still on the street. DeSpain said the witnesses only reported they saw fighting going on so police do not have any more information on possible suspects or if the violence was the result of a bar fight.

DeSpain said the victim was very agitated and intoxicated and would not tell police why he was injured or who his assailants were.

“Exactly who was fighting and why he was fighting, we’re not going to know,” DeSpain said.