Crime in Brief

Residential burglary: Lathrop Street

The University of Wisconsin football game was in its fourth quarter, as residents of 141 Lathrop St. saw strangers robbing their neighbors’ house through the window Saturday night.

The residents of 143 Lathrop St., who were next door at a party returned to their house when they saw the suspects, Lt. Corey Nelson said. Police arrested one suspect, a high school student from West High School, but did not release his name, Nelson said. Two other suspects fled the scene, he said.

The Madison Police Department does not believe this crime is connected to the other home invasions and armed robberies in the Greenbush-Vilas neighborhoods.

“Not that we’re aware of,” Nelson said.

It does not appear any items were stolen from the residence, Nelson said.

Robbery: Langdon Street

A residential home on Langdon Street was robbed late Friday night.

An 18-year old victim had his wallet and laptop computer stolen after his roommate allowed two black males into their home to play video games, according to a MPD statement. The roommate met the suspects on the street around 1:30 a.m., the statement said.

MPD Spokesperson Joel DeSpain said he does not think this robbery is related to the armed burglaries that happened in the Greenbush-Vilas neighborhoods over the last few weeks.

“What’s been taking place in the Regent Street, Greenbush neighborhood is very brazen,” DeSpain said. “Those are very different crimes than burglaries or thefts.”

DeSpain added police do not have any further leads at this time in regards to arresting the suspects, but they are continuing to keep an eye out for them.

The two black males are described as having four letter tattoos on their left hands in cursive writing, the statement said.

“The person who let them into the apartment might be able to recognize them again if [they are] seen,” DeSpain said.

It is not clear if the victims are UW students, but DeSpain said they likely are.

DeSpain said the students should take safety precautions when they are at home and be careful to guard their belongings.

“The main thing is to keep your doors and windows locked — even when you’re at home,” DeSpain said. “If you’re going to have a house party, know the people who are there.”

Robbery: State Street

A victim was walking down State Street late Friday night when he was robbed at gunpoint.

The victim was approached by three suspects who demanded money from him, according to an MPD statement. The suspects also presented a handgun, Nelson said.

Nelson said MPD does not know if they were related to the other armed robberies in the Greenbush-Vilas neighborhoods.

“We don’t know if they were connected,” Nelson said.

Nelson said they do not have any suspect names at this time, but the reports list that they were three black men in their 20s.

Nelson said he did not know if the 22 -year-old victim was a UW student or not. He said it is possible the victim’s phone was stolen.