Annual 5k run attracts 17,000

Thousands of enthusiastic Badgers and runners from around the state joined to show their support for the University of Wisconsin in the annual Crazylegs Classic race Saturday.

In partnership with the National W Club, UW’s Athletic Department sponsored the annual five-mile race through Madison.

Primarily a fundraiser for UW Athletics, the proceeds are also donated to general scholarship funds, National W Club spokesperson Doreen Dower said.

The race, which dates back to 1982, is a tribute to the iconic Elroy “Crazylegs” Hirsch, a former Badger football star and UW Athletic Director, Dower said. 

Dower said the race is now a UW tradition and attracted more than 17,000 participants.

“The Crazylegs Classic has become a springtime tradition for the UW Athletic Department and the Madison community,” Dower said in an email to The Badger Herald. “It brings thousands of people together – alums, families, past athletes – for an event, which is still fairly priced and finishes in an historical landmark.” 

The runners, walkers and wheelchair participants finished at Camp Randall Stadium with a post-race celebration. This year’s event hosted Spoken Four, a popular cover band from Chicago, and also saw entertainment from the UW Marching Band, Dower said.

Dower attributed the event’s success to the many participants who return annually, who she said share their enthusiasm to make Crazylegs the lively tradition that it is today.

Wisconsin Alumni Association Vice President of Alumni Relations and Development Jeff Wendorf said the WAA, which also works with the race, has expanded the race to Badger alumni across the country. 

“Crazylegs World” became a way for Badgers all over the place to participate in the proud tradition, Wendorf said.

He said by pairing WAA alumni chapters in Chicago, Washington, D.C. and West Palm Beach, Fla., with the program, those interested in participating in Crazylegs will be able to do so in races organized in their own community.

“Crazylegs World” is also looking to expand its reach, Wendorf said.

“This is one of those connections that our alumni have with the university and they remember it fondly,” Wendorf said. “It helps to foster alumni-to-alumni connections in their communities or here in Madison.”