UWPD to attend memorial for fallen Boston officer

Two members of the University of Wisconsin Police Department traveled to Massachusetts Monday to attend a memorial service for a campus police officer killed in the line of duty as officers pursued the Boston Marathon bombing suspects.

Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer Sean Collier, 26, was killed April 15 during a shootout with the suspects in Watertown, Mass. on Thursday night.

Detective Peter Grimyser and Officer Juan Avila, two members of the UWPD Honor Guard, will represent UWPD at the memorial service on the MIT campus Wednesday at noon.

Marc Lovicott, UWPD spokesperson, said both Grimyser and Avila willingly donated their time to attend the service and will not receive compensation.

“They are not getting any overtime,” Lovicott said. “They are doing that part of the trip on their own. They are going on our behalf, to represent our department, to let the folks know that we support [Collier], his family and the department.”

Despite not personally knowing the MIT campus police officer, Grimyser said Collier’s death is a tragic incident.

“[It is important] to honor the police officer who was killed and to honor his family,” Grimyser said. 

According to Lovicott, the UWPD Honor Guard regularly attend funerals for fallen officers from other departments.

Last week, members of UWPD Honor Guard attended the memorial service of a police officer from the Milwaukee area, who died on duty from a heart attack.