UW employee death still under investigation

Although the University of Wisconsin Police Department closed the investigation into the death of a UW employee last week, officials are still investigating the cause of the accident.

Kenneth Newman, 63, of Prairie du Sac, was an instrument maker for UW Physical Plant Machine Shop, who was working on repairs on a unit at the Art Lofts at 111 N. Francis St., when a loading dock fell on him, UW Physical Plant Associate Director Faramarz Vakili said. 

He was working under the lift when it collapsed and came down on top of him, Valiki said, but was unable to provide further details.

Newman was transported to UW Hospital after the incident occured, but died shortly after from injuries sustained by the accident, UW Police Department spokesperson Mark Lovicott said.

Lovicott said UWPD has closed its investigation of the accident, leaving it in the hands of UW Safety and Facilities and Occupational Safety and Health Administration, who will be conducting their own investigations.

UW Safety and OSHA will be investigating whether or not safety protocols were followed and the causes for the equipment’s malfunction.

“Our main job was to find out whether anything criminal happened at the scene,” Lovicott said. “This was not the case here.”

As part of the plant, Newman was responsible for repairing equipment and making parts. 

He was deeply faithful to the department, joining the university in 1989 and remaining a UW employee for 24 years, Vakili said.

“He was a very hardworking and smart employee,” Vakili said. “No matter how difficult or complex the conditions were, he gave [every job] his best.”

Newman was a well-known and well-liked member of a staff of 900 employees working to keep university operations running smoothly, Vakili said.

Vakili said the staff has extensive training, and the department has extensive safety measures in place already, but emphasized the department will be carefully reviewing all of its procedures. Although the plant has very experienced employees, Vakili said Tuesday’s tragedy shows “accidents can happen anywhere.”

“Be careful and never take anything, especially safety, for granted,” Vakili said.

He added he and his coworkers have learned from such accidents.

The UW Safety and Facilities Department declined to comment on the investigation, as it is still underway. 

A memorial service will be held on Monday in Sauk City to remember a hardworking member of the Physical Plant’s “tight-knit community,” Vakili said.

A Physical Plant electrician also died in an accident on campus in July 2011. Brad Krause, 40, was electrocuted while working in the Humanities Building.