Dean releases sexual assault data

While a report released Wednesday by the University of Wisconsin System documents reported sexual assault cases in 2012, Dean of Students Lori Berquam said the data portrays only a fraction of the issue.

Berquam said the data in the report, which was released in a campus-wide email Wednesday evening, is by no means unimportant, but since sexual assault is an underreported crime, it does not accurately represent incidents of sexual assault, dating violence and stalking on campus.

However, Berquam said the report is important for the campus community to know what has been reported in terms of sexual assault.

“What we want to do is build awareness and encourage survivors to feel like they can come forward and receive support,” she said.

According to the report, 2012 saw 122 reported cases of sexual assault on and off UW’s campus, with 76 in which the victim and assailant were acquaintances, 21 in which they were not acquaintances and 26 unknown. Of the total reported cases, 49 cases involved alcohol or drugs.

Berquam added the report, although valid, does not necessarily represent the accurate number of sexual assault cases because the UW System only knows those that have been reported.

Nearly one in four women and one in seven college men experience sexual assault, according to Promoting Awareness, Victim Empowerment spokesperson Maggie DeGroot. She said it is always good to keep in mind what steps a community can take to help survivors of sexual assault.

DeGroot said she does not find the statistics surprising, and said the numbers could be eye-opening for students who are not aware that a majority of sexual assaults are committed by an acquaintance.

On this point, Berquam emphasized the importance of consent and agreed most survivors know their assailants.

“The emphasis here is on our community to say it’s not ok to engage in this behavior without consent,” Berquam said. “Consent is important…it’s a part of our campus and a part of who we are.”

Berquam said it is important to strive to create a campus community that is safe, welcoming and inclusive to all.

The numbers in the report are not surprising, according to UW Police Department spokesperson Marc Lovicott, because they are similar to what was reported last year.

Lovicott said it is unfortunate to see these crimes happen, but added it is important to talk about them and make resources available.

“At the police department, we make sure to work really hard to make sure one, it doesn’t happen and two, if it does happen, to bring those criminals responsible to justice,” Lovicott said.

The report also outlines the two best examples of institutional initiatives, programs or services to assist sexual assault student victims as the university’s partnerships with the Rape Crisis Center and the Domestic Abuse Intervention Services, two community-based advocacy agencies.

DeGroot said it is important to be aware many different resources are available on campus for victims of sexual assault.