UW student dies after bacterial meningitis diagnosis

University of Wisconsin is offering support to those affected by the death of UW senior Henry Mackaman, who died after being  hospitalized and diagnosed with bacterial meningitis. 

Mackaman was hospitalized at Meriter Hospital earlier this week and his family has now removed him from life support, according to a UW statement released Thursday.

According to the statement, 21-year-old Mackaman of St. Paul, Minn. was pursuing an Economics and English double major and was known on campus for his love of music. He was a member of a band called Phantom Vibration from the Twin Cities, and was also a DJ WSUM Student Radio show.

“Henry’s spirit and the joy he brought to us will live on anytime we share stories of him, listen to music he recorded, and retell the jokes and bad puns he laid on us,” Mackaman’s mother, Meredith Mackaman wrote on his CaringBridge site.

The UW statement said students in need of counseling are encouraged to contact University Health Services, which offers drop-in consultation as well as a crisis line. Students should feel no need to hesitate to seek help, and reaching out for support from the university or others can be the best way to cope with situations like this, the statement said.

UHS Director Sarah Van Orman said meningococcal disease, also known as bacterial meningitis, is not a highly contagious condition. But, she said when the bacteria in the environment does enter the bloodstream and becomes an infection it causes a very severe illness that can spread rapidly.

Meningococcal disease commonly causes meningitis, according to the statement. With meningitis, the statement said, the lining surrounding the brain and spinal chord becomes inflamed.   

“That’s why it is so frightening,” Van Orman said. “It can strike people who are perfectly healthy so quickly.”

However, Van Orman said cases are very rare, and the statement said the bacteria are only spread in cases of close contact with the oral or nasal secretions. 

“I would reassure people that this is not something that poses a risk to our community,” Van Orman said.

Van Orman stressed that she encourages anyone who is concerned or trying to cope with this case to contact UHS to talk with a counselor or someone on the mental health staff. Those interested should call 608-265-5600, she said.