Air Force ROTC program top in nation for fitness

After earning a second-place rating last year, the University of Wisconsin Air Force Reserve Officers’ Training Corps reached its goal to earn the top ranking in the nation for physical fitness.

Cadets in the program earned an average physical fitness score of 97.42 out of 100, according to a UW statement. 

Earning this spot came through a spirit of friendly competition, according to ROTC Lt. Col. Todd Berge. He said the process involved a lot of cadet support and became like a “self-licking ice cream cone” that fed upon itself.

As commander, Berge said he introduced the goal to become number one in fitness when he took on his position two and a half years ago. He said cadets embraced the intense workout program that came as a result.

The physical fitness assessments cadets had to complete were based on a test broken down to 100 points, according to Berge. For the test, he said men and women had to meet minimum requirements to pass and all strove to reach maximum levels to earn full points.

As a part of the test, Berge said men could reach the maximum points by completing 67 pushups in one minute, 58 sit-ups in one minute and run a mile and a half in less than nine minutes and 12 seconds.

Women, Berge added, had to complete 47 pushups in one minute, 54 sit-ups in one minute and run a mile and a half in less than 10 minutes and 23 seconds.

“It is intense,” Berge said. “We have kids that do regurgitate during or after a test.”

The tests are as easy or hard as participants make them, according to Capt. Scott Paeth. He said they are not a pleasant experience and added that while hard work does not make the tasks easier, it makes it easier for cadets to do well on them.

In terms of recruitment, Berge said he believes earning this recognition will bring benefits.

Two years ago, Madison’s Air Force ROTC program won the Right of Line Award recognizing the best detachment in the nation, Berge said. Since then, he added, Madison’s Air Force ROTC program upgraded from the small to medium-size category and he said he would attribute the increase to winning the award.

Madison’s program, currently at 85 cadets, is the largest the program has been since the Vietnam era, according to Berge. He said when he was a part of UW’s Air Force ROTC chapter there were about 40 cadets in the program. Since then, he added the program has more than doubled in size.

From a recruiting standpoint, this recognition will allow Madison’s Air Force ROTC program to put it out to prospective students that the Madison program is the best in the nation, Paeth said. They will tell recruits that if they want to be the best, they have to train with the best, he added.

For current students, Paeth said this recognition gives them something to strive for and a goal to maintain.

“A big part of setting goals is to put the expectation out there,” Paeth said. “We did that day one.”

This is Berge’s third and final year as commander. Reflecting on this, he said he thinks in his time in the position he has instilled the desire for cadets to be number one in not just physical fitness, but everything they do.