Tim Russel pleads guilty

Gov. Scott Walker’s former aide, Tim Russell, pleaded guilty Thursday to charges involving theft of money from a veterans fund.

He was charged with stealing up to $21,000 dollars from a veterans non-profit organization Walker appointed him to lead. This comes shortly after the sentencing of Kelly Rindfleisch, another former aide who also pleaded guilty to one felony count for campaigning while being paid on the taxpayers’ dime.

The two trials are both part of the John Doe investigation, in which three of Walker’s former aides and one campaign donor have been convicted.

Scot Ross, executive director of One Wisconsin Now, said this investigation may have significant political implications in regards to Walker running for reelection in 2014.

Ross also believes the investigation could go on, and voters will likely ask questions about Scott Walker’s connections to the cases.

“It was a very clear and corrupted effort when Scott Walker was a county executive to advance partisan campaign politics on a taxpayer dime,” Ross said. “Voters will start to speculate and ask questions; who knows when this investigation will end”?

Cullen Werwie, spokesperson for Gov. Walker, could not be reached for comment.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.