Dean confirms student death

Dean of Students Lori Berquam and a city alderman confirmed a University of Wisconsin student and Langdon Street resident died yesterday, though details surrounding the death are still developing.

At press time, Berquam said she could confirm that a student died, but said the Dane County medical examiner has not released any further information surrounding the cause of death.

“Our thoughts and prayers go out to the friends and family who are connected to the student,” Berquam said. “Our thoughts are obviously with the student’s family and friends as they mourn this loss.”

First and foremost, Berquam said, her hope would be that students who are impacted reach out to resources like the University Health Services, her staff and the residence life staff in order to get connected to services that can assist them in making sense of an incidence like this.

Berquam said if anybody is struggling, for whatever reason, whether it be something like an eating disorder or a chemical dependence, there are a variety of resources on campus for them. She said a college campus is an “amazing” place with a wealth of resources to make sure students can get connected.

“More than anything we would want students to get connected to resources that can help them,” Berquam said. “It is really important that students know there are resources that can assist them.”

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said he received confirmation earlier in the day yesterday from the Madison Police Department that a UW student was found dead in a Langdon Street residence.

Verveer said at this time, foul play is not suspected. He said the case is under active police investigation and the greater community is not at risk.

“It goes without saying that this is an unspeakable tragedy for somebody this young to lose their life,” Verveer said.

MPD declined to comment.