Walker plans budget talk tour across state

This week Gov. Scott Walker will begin a tour across the state of Wisconsin to talk with Wisconsinites about their ideas to improve the state.

The trip, dubbed by his campaign as the “Talk with Walker Tour,” will last several months. Walker is set to speak with Wisconsin citizens to determine their “priorities and ideas for building a better Wisconsin,” according to a statement released by the governor.

Walker said in a video released by his campaign that he wants to have a conversation with Wisconsinites concerning the best ways to fix the economy in the state.

“As we continue our work on the state budget, we need to identify key areas we can improve on and invest in to continue moving Wisconsin forward,” Walker said in the video.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Walker said he hopes to involve the people of Wisconsin in creating his next agenda and budget.

The last budget Walker released drew weeks of constant protests by thousands of Wisconsinites and resulted in an eventual recall election in which Walker was successful over opponent Milwaukee Mayor Tom Barrett. The budget targeted collective bargaining rights of public employees.

Walker said he and the state’s Legislature have been successful in improving the business climate thus far, adding Wisconsin has been named as the 13th best business climate in the country. 

Walker said he plans to focus on two main goals: job creation and developing the workplace.

According to Walker’s video, there is a growing demand for skilled workers in the fields of construction and manufacturing, and he predicts more than 63,000 job openings in these fields by 2015.

Walker also noted he intends to continue to invest in infrastructure and education, as well as reform the government to eliminate “waste” and excess spending.

“Giving every child in the state, regardless of their zip code, a great education is the right thing to do,” Walker said in the video.

Walker said the accountability measures he put in place will “make sure kids are learning from great teachers.” He also stressed the importance of his Read to Lead program, which ensures children are able to read by third grade.

According to the statement, Walker’s talk will primarily consist of speaking with workers, employers, taxpayers, editorial boards and other Wisconsinites.

Erik Kirkstein, political director for United Wisconsin, said although Walker’s press release gave the impression that Walker’s tour would be a chance for the public and Walker to discuss the issues in the state, that is not the case.

Kirkstein said when the time and location of the first stop of the tour was released Monday, it was revealed the tour is actually private.

United Wisconsin released a statement pertaining to Walker’s tour that states if Walker really wanted to improve the state, he would allow every Wisconsinite to be heard and not just a select few businesses and their employees.

According to Kirkstein, the governor admitted he had not done a good enough job reaching out to the public.

“[This tour] is Walker’s attempt to create the false impression of being open with the public,” Kirkstein said. “When Walker travels the state, he should give everybody the opportunity [to voice their opinions].”

In its statement, United Wisconsin urged citizens to call Walker’s office and request his talk sessions be opened to the public.

Walker will introduce his budget for the next two years in February, according to the Associated Press.

The Associated Press contributed to this story.