Plans continue for new student-oriented developments

A neighborhood meeting Thursday welcomed student resident participation and introduced proposals for two development projects.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, introduced two new developments, one on the corner of North Bassett Street and West Dayton Street and the other on North Frances Street.

Scott Kohler, who represented Capitol Neighborhoods, said the purpose of the meeting was to provide input and feedback to city officials, who will be making the decision about the upcoming renovations.

“We want to get all views represented so we have the best information available for [city officials],” Kohler said.

According to Randy Bruce, the architect for the developments, the proposed plans would demolish four existing buildings at 202-222 N. Bassett St. and 510 and 520 W. Dayton St. and replace them with a five-story apartment building. He added the plans include demolishing two homes on 313 and 315 N. Frances St. to build a 12-story apartment complex there instead.

Owner of Boardwalk Investments Scott Faust said these apartments would offer students safer, better security and fire protection.

Verveer said the downtown plan has allowed for these proposed land uses and building heights. He said they will be approved under the old zoning code but will fit requirements to the new zoning code as well, which will be in effect Jan. 2, 2013.

Bruce said the North Bassett Street and West Dayton Street complex would consist of 75 apartments with a balcony for each unit. He said it would offer 61 underground motor vehicle parking slots, as well as 114 bicycle and 20 moped stalls.

“It will be a truly student-oriented property,” Bruce said.

The North Frances Street unit would be adjacent to Dotty Dumpling’s Dowry, Bruce said. He said Faust and Bruce are proposing a 12-story building with a commercial site on the first floor, with potential for a restaurant or bank. Bruce also said there would also be a rooftop terrace and study room for all residents.

Bruce said it will offer 42 units and will not have motor vehicle parking. He said it would also offer 100 bicycle and eight moped parking stalls. Due to the university’s recent restriction in moped and bike parking, he said he is not concerned with a shortage in moped stalls. Bruce said Faust has begun searching into bike and moped storage security as well.

“I’m concerned there’s not a sufficient amount of moped parking [in the Frances Street design],” Verveer said.

He said he thinks there might still be some alterations left on the North Frances Street design before it is approved, in part because of the limited parking.

About three quarters of the Residential Real Estate Development class attended the meeting. About five of these students currently live in the Mifflin neighborhood area.

Other participants included non-student residents in the Mifflin Street and Langdon Street area, as well as local business owners.

Kohler said he encouraged participation of residents to partake on a steering committee, a smaller group of residents who would meet with developers on a regular basis and discuss the plans in greater detail.

According to Verveer, the developers have applied to the city for approval of the two development plans. Each proposal must pass through the Urban Design Commission, Plan Commission and the City Council, he said.

Bruce said he and Faust are meeting with the Urban Design Commission Wednesday. If the designs are approved, they will speak in front of the Plan Commission Dec. 3 and at the City Council meeting Dec. 11.