Clinton plans stop at UW-Waukesha to promote president’s economic policies

With less than a week until Election Day, former President Bill Clinton is playing a major role in speaking to Wisconsin voters on behalf of President Barack Obama.

Clinton spoke at a rally Wednesday night in Eau Claire, telling voters they need to vote for Obama because of his accomplishments during the last four years and his vision on the economy’s future. He will also be speaking at the University of Wisconsin-Waukesha on Thursday morning.

Obama for America Wisconsin spokesperson Gillian Morris said Clinton and Obama have implemented similar economic policies, ones that will grow the economy by focusing on the middle class and small businesses.

“President Clinton knows that President Obama understands how to grow the economy-by investing in education, infrastructure and cutting taxes for small businesses,” Morris said in an email to The Badger Herald. “These types of policies, the same that President Clinton enacted, President Obama has put into place and will continue to improve in a second term.”

An invite from the Obama campaign for Clinton’s Eau Claire event said Clinton was there to “lay out the clear choice” Wisconsin voters have.

The email contrasted Obama’s “economy built to last” with former Mass. Gov. Mitt Romney’s economy, one the email said follows a model that has already failed middle class families.

Ben Sparks, Romney for Wisconsin spokesperson, said Clinton is helping the Obama campaign in Wisconsin because the Democrats are worried about not getting enough votes in the state.

“The reason they are here is because the president has a real Wisconsin problem, further than that, he has a real turnout problem,” Sparks said. “President Clinton has been in Wisconsin multiple times, as has the president, and it’s clear they continue to lose ground here.”

This week, Clinton was on the campaign trail with Denver Mayor Michael Hancock, who Sparks said made some revealing comments about the election.

According to Sparks, Hancock told the crowd Wisconsin Democrats are underperforming in early voting and that if the election were held today, the president would not win Wisconsin’s 10 electoral votes.

“Clearly, their message is falling short,” Sparks said. “In fact, their own Democratic base is not enthused about the president, and given Mayor Hancock’s comments yesterday, the Democrats are on the record now saying that they’re worried about their own base turning out.”

Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison, also used Clinton to help her out in her race for the open Senate seat. In an ad released Tuesday, Clinton said she stands with middle class families and will continue to fight against special interest groups.

Clinton said an example of Baldwin standing with the middle class is Baldwin proposing the part of Obama’s health care law that keeps those under 26 on their parent’s health insurance.

“One big difference between Tammy Baldwin and Tommy Thompson is that she stood up to the special interests, and he stood up for them,” Clinton said in the ad. “If you put people first, it works better than trickle-down economics. … We will bring America back in a fair, balanced, progressive way with Tammy Baldwin. You can count on it.”