UW business school honors alumni

The University of Wisconsin School of Business hosted their annual awards ceremony, a celebration to honor the achievements of distinguished alumni on Friday.

The gala and awards ceremony honored graduates of the UW School of Business and provided the opportunity to recognize esteemed graduates and serves to maintain connections with all alumni.

UW School of Business Manager of Public Relations Lavilla Capener said the gala, in coinciding with UW Homecoming, provided the opportunity for the Business School to honor some of their very accomplished alumni.

Assistant Director of Alumni Relations in the UW Business School Heather Garrison said she would describe the function as a celebration of “business then and now.”

Garrison said the business school is constantly seeking to maintain contact with their alumni. She said she would stress the importance of continued involvement shared between the Business School and alumni.

“Once you graduate from the UW, there’s no breaking up with the degree,” she said.

Capener said she would describe the network of Badger business alumni as extensive, successful and proud. 

She said the “Badger Business Community” helps to build the reputation of the school as it continues to grow both in size and credibility.

“Part of the reason why the business school is continually highly ranked is because we have incredible alumni who accomplish great things,” Capener said. “It is an opportunity to give back to alum and thank them as well.”

The ceremony featured three prominent awards.

Garrison said The Distinguished Business Alumnus award, honoring a lifetime of achievement, was awarded to Ruth Nelson. She said Nelson was a 1948 graduate and retired executive of Time Inc.

Corey Capasso and Andrew Ferenci, 2009 graduates and the founders of Spinback, were the recipients of The Young Business award to recognize recent graduates with impressive achievements, Garrison said.

Garrison said the most recent addition to the festivities, The Shape the Future Volunteer award, celebrates those with a sustained, productive and active relationship with UW. She said its three recipients were Don Condon Jr., John Kenny and Ann Schwiste.