Madison music video proposed by Mayor

Madison Mayor Paul Soglin is proposing to allocate $50,000 of city funding for a music video that would promote the city.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8 said Soglin wants to use the money to promote Madison through an alternative media. Some cities use the money for national television spots, which can cost millions.

The idea of using music for promotion was used in Grand Rapids, Mich., Soglin said. He added this thought is becoming familiar to the community of Madison.

“The video would not be used to better Madison’s image, but to express Madison and show the rest of the world what we’re about,” Soglin said. “Madison already has an image for schooling and careers, and it is constantly evolving. The video would explain who we are.”

Resnick said the funding for the video would
come from a room tax, which is from hotel room taxes and is put back to
the city for tourism purposes like the Monona Terrace Community and Convention Center.

“It’s important to understand the money can only be used for tourism,” he said.

The capability of Madison creating a successful music video seems to be agreeably present among others in the community.

“There are talented individuals here who could promote Madison,” Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said. “My main concern is $50,000 of tax payers’ money may be on the steep side.”

The reasoning behind the funding is based on the amount used in Grand Rapids and the video’s potential, Soglin said.

“We saw Grand Rapids, Michigan, had over 5 million hits,” Soglin said. “But we believe there could be improvements.”

Soglin said they had spent $40,000 and had based it on a previously-made song, which makes for lowered costs. Soglin’s proposal increases the cost because he would rather use original music from an original artist.

Soglin said when one looks at all the money spent on housing,
community centers and the $50 million to start the Overture Center for the Arts, the
$50,000 he is proposing for the video is a “rational decision.”

Still, others like Verveer are unsure about the investment.

“I have mixed emotions,” Verveer explained. “The positive side would be the idea was once successful. We have a very tight budget though, and have higher priorities. We have a difficult budget to exercise.”

However, Resnick said he does not expect the video to be made because of budgetary constraints.

Where the money will go, Resnick is unsure.

“The reality is we need to figure out how to promote Madison itself and the image of Madison elsewhere,” he added.

– Molly McCall contributed to this story