Jill Biden: Obama best for students

President Barack Obama’s campaign reached out to college campus newspapers Thursday with a conference call that included the vice president’s wife.

Dr. Jill Biden, Obama Deputy Campaign Manager Stephanie Cutter and Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards talked to student reporters and laid out the reasons Obama should be reelected.

Biden, who teaches English and writing at a community college in northern Virginia, began by telling students Obama is committed to making higher education affordable.

“We’ve made a lot of progress in the last few years,” Biden said. “Thanks to President Obama’s investment in higher education, the price families and students pay for college is actually lower today than it was five years ago.”

Cutter said Obama has ensured there is a stronger economy waiting for students when they graduate, one that has created more than five million jobs in the last 30 months.

Biden also highlighted Obama’s other accomplishments while in office. She reminded the students Obama ended the Iraq War, repealed Don’t Ask Don’t Tell, passed health care reform and brought the unemployment rate to its lowest level since the 2008 election.

Biden said this shows Obama “has kept his promise to the American people.”

Jeff Snow, chair of the University of Wisconsin College Republicans, said he disagreed with Biden’s comments.

He said he believes her statement is too vague to be accurate, and he also questioned whether some of Obama’s promises were actually kept, as the nation still has a high unemployment rate.

He also contrasted Obama’s record and jobs plan with his Republican opponent’s, former Gov. Mitt Romney, R-Mass.

“It’s clear Obama has no idea how to create jobs,” Snow said. “Mitt Romney has been in the private sector. He knows what to do. He has a five-point plan which will create 12 million jobs in his first term.”

Cutter also criticized Romney’s comments on the 47 percent of Americans and said Romney has had to be dishonest because of his real plan to favor the wealthy over the middle class. She said the public is aware of that, which has led to Romney being lower in the polls.

Snow countered that criticism by saying the Democrats are trying to divide the nation for political gain and are not focused on the country’s growth.

“Mitt Romney cares about 100 percent of America; his policies will help everybody,” Snow said. “They [the Democrats] are just engaged in class warfare, which makes for good politics, but not a good economy.”

Richards, the Planned Parenthood president, said Romney would work to cut funding for her group and opposes Roe v. Wade, the 1973 Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion.

She added Romney would repeal Obama’s health care reform law, which she said would get rid of a law’s provision that allows students to stay on their parents’ health care insurance until age 26.

Biden concluded by encouraging students to vote for Obama and her husband so the nation can continue to grow.

“We’ve come so far, and we need to keep moving forward,” Biden said. “We will keep fighting so everyone has a fair shot at building a better life for themselves, no matter who they are.”