Capitol Police crack down on Solidarity Singer protesters

Capitol Police Chief David Erwin has continued to crack down on the Solidarity Singer protesters at the Capitol and issued them close to 60 citations in the past two months.

The Solidarity Singers are a group of protesters that sings in the rotunda each day at noon. Erwin has been issuing citations to them since early September for protesting at the Capitol without a permit.

According to Rep. Chris Taylor, D-Madison, the citations protesters are receiving have been vague. She said one individual received a citation under the administrative code that deals with bringing heavy machinery and equipment into the Capitol, but that the individual was simply carrying a sign.

Taylor said the protesters are now receiving citations in the mail one to two weeks after their alleged conduct. She said she has not witnessed any protesters being problematic or disruptive, and people are getting citations for peacefully carrying around signs.

She said she believes Erwin does not like people expressing themselves politically, and his strategy is to silence people’s speech by fining them. She said this is problematic because Capitol policies state there is no requirement that someone holding a sign needs to obtain a permit.

“I find this strategy extraordinarily problematic because people are not aware of what they are doing that is unlawful,” Taylor said.

Taylor said Erwin refuses to provide specifics on what conduct he finds troubling by protesters at the Capitol. She said several of them are confused about why they are receiving certain citations.

Robert Drechsel, a journalism and law professor at the University of Wisconsin, said he believes Erwin can legally issue these citations as long he continues to enforce things in a neutral way to all groups of people in the future.

Drechsel added that despite its legality, Erwin’s strategy may not be the most effective.

“Initially when you clamp down on something like that, it is only going to encourage more of the activity you are trying to put an end to,” Drechsel said. “It’s a variation on the theme that more rules and regulations are not always the best move.”

Taylor said a better strategy would be for Erwin to work with the Legislature and protesters to settle the situation. She added Erwin’s “heavy-handed” response to the issue does not provide a solution.

According to Taylor, the issue of citations is a large waste of not only judicial resources, but also of taxpayer’s money. She said certain individuals have received more than one citation, and a single citation can cost $200.

Taylor said she believes the judge will dismiss many of the citations in court. She said she does not think a jury will convict these protesters when they have not been properly told of the unlawful act they committed.

She said she is uncertain if Erwin will continue to issue citations in the coming months. She added Erwin’s strategy is a “colossal waste of time and resources that could have been handled in a much better way.”

Department of Administration spokesperson Stephanie Marquis and Erwin did not return calls for comment.