SSFC approves eligibility for group, hears two presentations

The student government’s main fee allocation committee continued their push through a long list of proposals for different student organizations to receive segregated fee funding at a Thursday night meeting.

The Student Services Finance Committee approved eligibility for Working Class Student Union without any contention with 13 votes in favor and one abstention. 

SSFC Rep. Jeremy Levinger said even with his most conservative calculations, WCSU’s direct services were still up to the standards of SSFC.

The committee also held hearings for Atheists, Humanists and Agnostics and Wisconsin Student Lobby, both of which presented on how their programs act as direct services.

AHA, which requested funding for the first time this year, spoke of two direct services: a faith questioning counseling and a secular support group.

According to AHA Secretary Dillon Wiesner, the counseling and support group fill a void in the university’s religious information services, which he said are lacking.

Wiesner added the two programs are educational in nature as they promote personal development and encourage students to examine each other’s views.

The subjects discussed in the support groups and counseling sessions are decided through student input, Wiesner said, adding the distinction between the two is the number of people present in the sessions.

AHA Representative Chris Calvey added the peer-to-peer faith questioning sessions are often more personal environments.

The representatives from WSL, a student organization familiar with the SSFC eligibility process, also presented their three direct services: advocacy training, political consulting and news compilation services.

According to WSL president Myranda Tanck, the organization decided to ask for less funding after some internal reorganization. Tanck added that in past years, WSL has returned portions of funding to SSFC instead of spending it “frivolously.”

The decisions on the two student organizations’ eligibility will be decided at a meeting on Monday. 

SSFC Chair Ellie Bruecker finished the meeting with a point about changes in method of collecting segregated fees. Currently, the segregated fees are differentiated between part-time and full-time students.

However, Bruecker said the university is in the process of studying the differences in segregated fee-funded university resource usages between part-time and full-time students.

Bruecker said she would like to see the University of Wisconsin’s system emulate UW-Milwaukee, where the fees for part-time students are differentiated by groups based on credits.

At the moment, students with more than 12 credits pay $555.60 in segregated fees, Bruecker said.