STW: Mifflin persists with city’s woes

A long history of celebration and tradition among campus and city residents was met with challenges this year, putting the future of the Mifflin Street Block Party in jeopardy.

The year started off with a concerted effort by city officials, police and students from the Associated Students of Madison coming together to discuss what changes were needed to be made to the Mifflin Street Block Party to ensure less violence and more control at this year’s event.

Some suggested changes which were used in previous years to fix the party, like having a sponsor for the event. Others suggested entirely new ideas, including charging money to go to the event. The idea of moving the block party to another venue was also brought up.

Ultimately, the main rules for the block party included having no open containers on the street, strict no-trespassing laws for properties on Mifflin Street and open streets in which attendees were not allowed to loiter.

While many, including police and city officials, lauded the day for its lack of violent crimes compared to last year’s two stabbings and multiple sexual assaults, some were less pleased with the stricter outcome.

Some students and those from out of town complained the new policies for the party were too severe, some calling it the “worst Mifflin” they had ever experienced.

However, other students embraced the new rules. Many said the option of signing up their houses for parties helped maintain control and safety.

Going forward, the Mifflin Street Block Party’s future seems uncertain, but there is hope that with continued collaboration a solution can be reached.