STW: Chadima resigns after scandal

Weeks of investigation into the events surrounding a Rose Bowl party led to the discovery that a former University of Wisconsin associate athletic director allegedly made sexual advances toward three male students in the Athletic Department. 

The first report released in January found John Chadima, who resigned Jan. 6, sexually assaulted a male student Athletic Department employee at a party during the Badgers’ trip to the Rose Bowl.

Documents obtained by The Badger Herald also indicate Chadima sent texts to an individual the night of the party, threatening to have the individual fired.

A second report claimed Chadima drove a former UW football player. When he said the student could spend the night, the student reported he locked himself in the bathroom until Chadima passed out.

The second report said Chadima groped a third individual at a party held when the football team was at a bowl game, with multiple instances of inappropriate conduct also occurring when he worked at Camp Randall Stadium.

According to a statement released by Chadima’s lawyer, Chadima has struggled to handle the anonymous allegations and has sought help through counseling, stress management and faith-based guidance.

UW received $100,000 for the investigation, which was chaired by former Dane County District Attorney Patrick Fiedler. The investigations also resulted in a review of UW alcohol policies.