Senior Class of 2012 gifts plaque to celebrate Wis. Idea

The University of Wisconsin senior class of 2012 dedicated a centennial plaque to preserve its place in the university’s history and celebrate the Wisconsin Idea yesterday.

The plaque is made of bronze and contains a quotation from former UW President Charles Van Hise, Senior Class President Steven Olikara said. According to Olikara, the plaque is also the largest on campus and the most expensive senior gift in UW’s history.

According to a UW statement, the quote on the plaque says, “I shall never be content until the beneficent influence of the university reaches every home in the state.”

“We wanted to make sure to give the Wisconsin Idea a fresh feel and to make it exciting,” Olikara said. “We also wanted to articulate the Wisconsin Idea in the 21st century. It’s an extraordinary platform for envisioning Wisconsin’s future.”

Olikara said the plaque is important because students are the leaders of today and the future, so the class chose a visual representation to be inspirational. He added the idea for the plaque was based on the idea that leadership tackles the great challenges of our time.

The class also hopes future students will be inspired and the plaque will make an everlasting memory, Olikara said. Regardless of a person’s career pursuit, he said, the plaque is a reminder they can incorporate a public service.

“I find it kind of funny because it’s a century-old idea, but it’s focused on innovation,” Olikara said.

He added while UW is known for its research, he thinks in the next century it will be known just as well for the public service it lends.

He also said UW can continue to be a home for social mobility, as public universities help foster the leaders of the future.

“One thing we want to do is inspire a culture of global leadership,” Olikara said. “We want to promote culture doing innovative work. It’s about challenging the status quo, taking risks and making bold decisions.”

Olikara said the plaque will be placed on a boulder between Bascom Hall and North Hall during the summer. The gift comes at the end of the campus’ observing of the Year of the Wisconsin Idea and the senior class’ announcement of the Wisconsin Idea Scholarship.