Recall may have national political impact

With Gov. Scott Walker’s recall election a month away, the events leading up to the gubernatorial recall have influenced political sentiments nationwide and could reflect a gradual trend of greater conservatism in Wisconsin.

While Wisconsin elections tend to be closely split between the parties, Walker’s support could indicate a gradual trend of greater conservatism in a state that has voted for Democratic presidential candidates going back to 1980, University of Wisconsin political science professor Kenneth Mayer said.

In 2010, the state saw Republicans take control of not only the governor’s office, but of the state Senate and Assembly. While Mayer said the recall election is not going to settle any question over the future direction of the state, he said the Tea Party may be growing in Wisconsin and influence politics in the future.

According to Mayer, if Walker can hold onto the governorship, far-right conservatism will continue to persist in Wisconsin and could ultimately reshape state government around the small government, Tea Party ideals.

“I can see how they want to align themselves with Walker,” Mayer said. “You could see some sustained activity in the state. The attitudes that the Tea Party reflects are not going to go away.”

Mayer also said people are paying attention to the recall elections nationwide. While it is unclear exactly how the results of the gubernatorial recall may impact the presidential election, Mayer said a Walker victory would show the nation that the Tea Party’s politics are supportable, at least in Wisconsin.

Michael Hintze, state coordinator of the Tea Party Patriots, said a Walker win in June would hurt President Barack Obama’s chances for reelection by undermining his union support base.

“[A Walker win] would be negative for Obama,” Hintze said. “It will show that the union movement is no longer enough to win.”

Hintze added that the Tea Party will continue to grow across the nation as long as the politicians in charge continue to think “business as usual is not acceptable.”

While Mayer said he does not think the outcome of the recall will change the end result of the presidential election, he believes it will invigorate the political spirit in America leading up to the presidential election.

“No matter what happens, it’s not clear who’s going to benefit and who will hurt,” Mayer said. “It will affect the way people think about politics. No matter what happens, people will mobilize and remobilize to respond to and reinforce whatever happens in this election.”

Both Hintze and Mayer said the Tea Party, or at least the ideals they represent, will continue to be a factor in mainstream American politics well into the future. However, Mayer said that while the Tea Party may not be pushing the same issues, other groups may replace them, and the issues the party has raised will not go away.

Walker’s recall may be one of the first big examples of controversy over such intensely conservative policies, Mayer said, but it will surely not be the last if the Tea Party continues to gain support.

The Democratic Party of Wisconsin could not be reached for comment.