Humorology show fundraises for alum’s charity

Raising donations for charity organization One Heartland, this year’s Humorology show, titled “Something Magical,” entertained audiences with six mini musicals in three shows over the weekend.

Members of the University of Wisconsin’s Greek system produce, perform and fund the annual performance each spring with proceeds being donated to a designated charity each year, Executive Producer Angie Kalaytowicz said in an email to The Badger Herald.

This year’s proceeds will go to One Heartland, a non-profit organization that provides summer camp experiences to children affected by HIV/AIDS.

Last year’s show donated more than $20,000 to One Heartland, and Kalaytowicz said she expects to make an equally significant donation this year.

UW has special connections to One Heartland, Kalaytowicz added.

“One Heartland was founded by UW grad Niel Willenson,” she said. “Donating to the organization has been a Humo tradition since the early 1990s.”

Humorology’s fundraising initiatives this year included events at local restaurants, competitive athletic tournaments, bake sales and outreach efforts to family, friends and businesses, Kalaytowicz added.

She said 17 different Greek chapters participate in Humorology and that each of the six 20-minute skits features members from one sorority and from one to three fraternities.

Humorology is also a competition between groups to be on the final lineup, Kalaytowicz said, beginning in the fall when the year’s theme is announced. She added that the annual event is UW’s largest student run philanthropy and has been an integral part of the university’s identity for 66 years.

This year’s show showcased participants’ musical, theatrical and comedic talents in skits that included parodies of shows like “Glee” and “Jersey Shore” and incorporated songs from artists ranging from Journey to Notorious B.I.G.

Juinor Ashley Kirchner saw Humorology for the first time at this Friday’s performance and said she enjoyed the opportunity to see her friends perform.

“Our friends had always been involved. It is nice to see all the effort that they put into it come together,” she said.

Between acts during the show, video interviews kept the audience entertained while Humorologists discussed the benefits of Greek life and the community’s talents.

Freshman Pi Phi member and performer Amanda Wisinger said preparing for the event is highly emphasized within the Greek community.

“We’ve been practicing six hours a week since August,” she said.

Kalaytowicz also said the event challenges students to go beyond their comfort zones. She said most of the participants have never been on stage and are stretched perform for thousands of people. She added that it gives UW Greeks a common cause with a higher purpose to work toward.

However, despite the many hours put into the performance, Wisnger said participating this year was a gratifying experience.

“The best part is performing. It brings people together. Everyone wants to put their time and effort towards charity,” she said.

Kalaytowicz said Humorology also strengthens the bonds within the Greek system because chapters are not allowed to collaborate together more than once in a four-year period.

At press time, Humorology producers did not return calls regarding how much money was raised in total this year.