Crime in brief

EAST MIFFLIN STREET: Damaged Property

An East Mifflin Street resident called authorities Wednesday after noticing his house had been spray-painted orange and pink, according to a Madison Police Department report. Profanity was among the spray-painted items on the house.

A Madison man was arrested and cited for criminal damage to property after the victim found a cell phone in the vicinity that ultimately allowed the authorities to link the perpetrator to further criminal acts, the report said.

“He has admitted to several cases in the general area, where buildings, or in one case a stadium wall, were damaged with spray paint,” MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said.

MPD has been aware of similar crimes that have occurred on Madison’s east side during the past week, including one incident during which an individual spray-painted park vehicles, DeSpain added. The suspect has denied involvement.

MADISON AREA: Threats

MPD has been fielding calls from Madison area residents who have received threatening calls asking for money, according to a report. Excuses ranging from “owed bills” to “personal debt” have been employed against the individuals receiving the phone calls.

The callers have also used threats as a means to intimidate the Madison residents, the report said. In one case, the caller provided intimate information about the victim, including his address and financial history.

DeSpain said that there have been similar incidents throughout the country in which people have placed random calls asking for money.

MPD advises individuals receiving such phone calls to shy away from presenting personal information over the phone, the report said.

“If you get a call from someone demanding money, tell them you’re hanging up immediately and you’re calling the police,” DeSpain said.

He added some of the calls are being placed outside of Wisconsin. Under these circumstances, MPD cannot investigate the matter to a full extent, due to a lack of resources.

“A lot of times we see fraud being perpetrated against people – either by Internet or over the phone – that the origin of the calls is overseas somewhere,” DeSpain said.

EAST TOWNE MALL: Sexual Assault

Authorities were notified of an incident occurring Thursday in which a 14 year old was reportedly groped by a male perpetrator, according to a report.

The victim confided in an adult and claimed to have been touched inappropriately while using the bathroom at Barnes and Noble in the East Towne Mall, the report said.

A suspect has been taken into custody regarding the incident and is currently under questioning, the report said.

According to DeSpain, MPD works side by side with the Dane County Victims Witness Program, which regularly assists victims of crime. Detectives are also dispersed to the crime scenes that have knowledge of how to deal with sexual assault victims.

“I credit the East District Police Department for their work in promptly apprehending a suspect for questioning,” Ald. Joe Clausius, District 17, said in an email to The Badger Herald. “This sends a clear message that this type of behavior will not be tolerated or overlooked.”