Relay for life raises over $100,000

On Friday night, 1,200 students made their way around the track of the Shell as they worked toward a cure for cancer by raising more than $100,000.

University of Wisconsin Relay for Life participants came to the Shell as early as 3 p.m. Friday to show their support, and many stayed until 6 a.m. Saturday.

In total, according to Marketing Director Katie Skelnar, the event made more than $100,000 to donate to the American Cancer Society, the organization behind Relay For Life events across the nation.

ACS uses their money mainly to fund research for a cure, but also supports Hope Lodges, which are places that house cancer patients free of charge when they need to travel for treatment.

The UW event was put on by Colleges Against Cancer, an organization on campus dedicated to keeping up the fight against the disease.

Co-presidents Kim Perkins and Caitlin DeVos oversaw the opening ceremony and introduced survivors of cancer.

In an interview and on stage, DeVos shared that she participated for her mother, Bev, who passed away due to stage four colon cancer about two years ago. She said she has been involved in Relay ever since.

Perkins said she participated for four years because of her grandpa, who is currently battling bladder cancer.

Many of the students present shared their stories and their motivation for participating in the event – a spirit that was evident in the luminaria ceremony early on in the night.

Bags with names of the deceased, survivors and those who are still fighting cancer were set up around the track and lit up the dark Shell.

Participants heard names of all of the “superheroes” in people’s lives remembered as Perkins and others read off their names.

UW student Chris Wickler was happy to share his personal motivation for supporting the cause of Relay.

“I personally relay because my grandpa died because of cancer seven years ago, so that’s a pretty personal connection,” he said. “I also know lots of friends and family unfortunately who have been touched by cancer, and this is just a really great way to raise money to help research for a cure, which I think is really awesome.”

In order to keep energy at a high level and the participants excited during the event, the night was scattered with entertainment in the form of singing groups, dancers and a hypnotist.

Perkins commented on the success of the night so far at around 3 a.m., saying she saw how much people had gone above and beyond.

“I think tonight is going well,” she said. “We came in good and everyone’s really excited, and it’s actually my last year with Colleges Against Cancer, so I’m really happy to be able to go out on such a strong note.”