UW anthropology department chair dies

Last Thursday, the University of Wisconsin lost anthropology professor and department chair Neil Whitehead, who was known for his dedication to his discipline among his colleagues.

Whitehead, a cultural anthropologist, had interests primarily in studies of violence, warfare and cannibalism, College of Letters and Science Dean Gary Sandefur said in an email to The Badger Herald.

Cultural Anthropology graduate student Chris Butler said in an email Whitehead was well-liked as a professor because of his keen intellect and his witty humor.

“Neil will be remembered for his scholarship, which blazed new trails in ethnographic representation and asked us as anthropologists to critically consider our methods and disciplinary history in new ways,” Butler said.

Whitehead’s career resulted in authoring three books, more than 15 co-edited volumes, more than 79 contributions to edited volumes and peer-reviewed national journals and more than 33 book reviews, UW anthropology professor J. Mark Kenoyer said in an email to The Badger Herald.

Sandefur said Whitehead’s devotion to the study of cultural anthropology also showed outside of UW, as Whitehead was elected Fellow of the American Anthropological Association, as well as of the Royal Anthropological Institute.

UW professor of Slavic languages Tomislav Longinovic said in an email to The Badger Herald he collaborated with Whitehead in studying worldwide sexuality, which sparked excitement for future collaborations in the host institutions where they presented seminars.

“Among friends and family, he will be remembered as a wonderfully warm and sincere human being, a devoted father and caring husband, a person who loved the outdoors and enjoyed Wisconsin for its fishing and hunting opportunities,” Longinovic said.

Butler added Whitehead and his family got to know students on a personal level by welcoming them to their home for dinner and discussion.
Whitehead is survived by his wife and their four children, according to a UW statement.

“He was a leader in his field and in his department, and we will all miss his presence on campus,” Sandefur said.