Wife highlights Romney’s life on campaign journey

ann_MM
Ann Romney addresses campaign supporters in Middelton Thursday. She said she was not expecting her husband to make another run at the presidential office.[/media-credit]

Ann Romney touted her husband and former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney’s campaign efforts for the Republican presidential nomination in a visit to Middleton Thursday, focusing on the difficulties of life on the campaign road and a need to fix the economic crisis.

Ann Romney appeared early Thursday morning outside the Hubbard Avenue Diner and was greeted by dozens of supporters.

“We’re fighting for better jobs, for an economic freedom, especially for our kids. The legacy we are leaving these kids is a huge debt,” she said. “People our age are not going to have to pay these bills. We’re passing them onto these kids. That’s what makes me most upset.”

She also talked about the family side of the campaign life and the personal but “worthy” struggle of going through a presidential election cycle.

She said hearing the personal attacks against someone she loves was very hard for the family. She added that when the Romney campaign shut down its operation four years ago when he first ran, she was certain her husband would not run again.

“What changed my mind is a recognition that this country is worth fighting for,” Ann Romney said. “A lot of people are doing good things to make sure the right decisions are being made and the country is heading in the right direction.”

While most attending the rally were supporters of Romney, the event did draw a few in opposition to his campaign.

John Jackson, a Ron Paul supporter, attended the rally to make sure people know there is an alternative to Mitt Romney and President Barack Obama.

“Unfortunately, Romney has a lot of the same views as Obama, such as huge federal spending in government and they are both big pro-war people,” Jackson said. “Left or right, there’s not much difference. There’s an illusion of choice.”

Former state Sen. Ted Kanavas, who introduced Ann Romney to the crowd, later said she did a wonderful job at the event.

“She framed the issue of economic security for our families and how President Obama has made it worse,” he said. “That’s what’s going to decide this election in the fall.”

Kanavas said he did not believe the long, drawn-out election cycle was a good thing or a bad thing for Mitt Romney’s campaign. He added multiple candidates just means a longer process.

When asked if he thought Santorum’s victory in Minnesota’s GOP primary was an indicator of who would win in Wisconsin, Kanavas was skeptical.

“I’ve never said Minnesota is known for good judgment,” Kanavas said.

A statement released Thursday from Mitt Romney’s campaign also announced a new advertisement that will be airing soon in Wisconsin.

The ad will focus on his conservative record and his career spent in the private sector.

“I spent my career in the private sector. In Massachusetts, when I came in we faced almost a $3 billion budget gap,” he said in the ad’s script. “And there were some that said ‘Why don’t we just raise taxes?’ I balanced the budget every single year and by the time I left we had established over $2 billion of a rainy day fund.”