Council stalls on vote for permanent student rep on ALRC

Madison’s City Council tackled multiple controversial issues, including those related to student representation on an alcohol policymaking committee, at a meeting that lasted long into Tuesday night.

Early in the meeting, alders discussed a three-year sunset date for a student representative from Associated Students of Madison serving as a technical advisor to the Alcohol License Review Committee.

The council met to discuss whether to make the seat a permanent position on ALRC. The council did not approve the proposal, which was referred back to the Common Council Organizational Committee. CCOC will review the idea and decide if the position will be further discussed.

The position was first designed to provide a student perspective in ALRC and has been very productive for the past two years, Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, said in an interview with The Badger Herald.

The current University of Wisconsin chancellor or their designee also has a position on ALRC, Verveer said. The ASM member is to act as a sister position to the chancellor’s.

The council also voted to approve the issuance of a request for proposals for an architectural and engineering design consultant for Fire Station No. 1 and the Fire Administration Buildings.

“Generally we are looking to create a new Fire Station No. 1,”  the city’s Director of Economic Development Aaron Olver said at the meeting.

It is likely that the city will have to partner with Hovde Properties, a real estate development company, or design the station itself, Olver said. The framework of the partnership with Hovde is still being negotiated.

Hovde came forward with a proposal for a large apartment building with underground parking, Verveer said in the interview. They offered to expand their adjacent development to include the Fire Department on West Dayton Street and the Fire Administration Building on West Johnson Street.

Olver said at the meeting that once the partnership is formed, the project will be brought back to City Council for further discussion.

“We are asking you to essentially move this project forward,” Olver said. “I feel like it’s important that we get this going as fast as possible.”

Both Fire Station No. 1 and the Fire Administration Building were constructed in the 1960s, Verveer said. A partnership with Hovde would expand development for a new facility.

This was the first time council voted on the issue, and it was the first step for the city to begin the selection process for potential architects, Verveer said.

“This is a major undertaking for the city of Madison,” Verveer said at the meeting. “‘This is very much on the fast track with regards to planning.”

The council also quickly voted to adopt the establishment of a glass-free zone for the West Mifflin Street area from 8 a.m. on May 5 through 6 a.m. on May 6 during the Mifflin Street Block Party.

Verveer said in the interview this is an item adopted by the City Council every year for the Block Party, as well as occasions such as Freakfest at Halloween.

There is an ordinance in Madison that allows the City Council to prohibit glass containers on city property, Verveer said. This includes streets and sidewalks. However, this can only be done if the time and location are specified.