Student government committee to examine 2013 state budget

Representatives of the University of Wisconsin’s student government reviewed the timeline for the state’s biennial budget in a meeting Monday night, saying it was not too early to begin strategizing on how to avoid further cuts to higher education.

The biennial budget is part of Wisconsin’s budget that involves higher education grants and funds. Associated Students of Madison Legislative Affairs Chair Hannah Somers said the budget bill will not be voted on for another year, until July 2013, but it is important that students look at it in advance.

“It’s important that we look at the budget now to make sure nothing major gets cut,” Somers said.

She suggested to the committee they look at the past budget in order to get a feel for what kinds of funds were cut.

An example of specific budget cuts made included the Wisconsin Higher Education Grant, which funds Wisconsin residents attending a public college.

“There was a large cut, and something students previously asked was to match dollar for dollar the tuition increase and the Wisconsin Higher Education Grant,” committee member Erica Symonds said. “That would ensure that students can cover the cost of college.”

Something the students can do is come up with a “budget priority list,” Somers said.

“We are more than happy to get opinions from different organizations to hear what other students want,” Somers said.

After students come up with a budget priority list, they plan to lobby the Board of Regents and Joint Finance Committee in Spring of 2013, according to Somers.

The committee will start the process of making a budget priority list at their next meeting on March 26.

“It is clear that students need financial aid,” Symonds said. “There is a huge gap between what’s needed and what’s available.”