Council denies special election on constitution

Representatives of the University of Wisconsin student government struck down a proposal to send a new proposed constitution, which would restructure the branches of government, to a special election of the student body.

Following weeks of debate, the proposal failed to pass by a vote of 12 to four, with multiple representatives raising concerns that if approved, the time frame for the special election would not allow for adequate time to educate students on the new constitution’s provisions.

“I think [a fall ballot] would be a better avenue for the constitution to be introduced,” Rep. Karen Scott said.

Speaking in support of the council’s decision, Rep. Tia Nowack stated the Associated Students of Madison Constitutional Committee should have created a petition to be signed by students in favor of the new constitution before presenting the document to council.

“The four representatives that voted in favor of it had private knowledge before it was made known to student council or the public in general,” Rep. Thom Duncan said. “If a constitution is to be drafted for greater inclusion of students, it should begin with inclusion; process shows intent.”

Rep. Cale Plamann said he believes ASM should change, and a new constitution should be voted on by students. However, he added the downsides of the time limitations on the ability to educate students outweighed the benefits of the proposal.

The council also voted to overturn three of the five resolutions presented by the Diversity Committee Chair Niko Magallon, postponing the last two to be discussed and voted on during the council’s next meeting.

Rep. Justin Gerstner urged members to vote down the proposals before they became binding documents.

“If these resolutions are not voted on tonight they become binding, and there’s been a lack of communication that needs to happen and in order for that to happen we need to override these tonight,” Gerstner said.

The resolutions aimed to change the ASM bylaws to give the Diversity Committee the power to ensure viewpoint neutrality is maintained by members of the student government and allows the committee to create binding resolutions to enforce this policy.

Calling for an investigative committee to be formed, the resolutions also pushed for a closer review of Student Services Finance Committee rulings and procedures.

The last of the resolutions overturned required the SSFC decision on Multicultural Student Coalition eligibility be overturned and the group be granted a new hearing on the grounds that neutrality was violated during the hearing process.

It further stated that due to “negligence in due process” during judicial proceedings on possible violations, Student Judiciary Chief Justice Kathryn Fifield and Vice Chief Justice Nicholas Checker should be removed from their positions.

Fifield said while she trusts the committee to do its job, the resolutions presented by the Diversity Committee Chair imply a lack of trust in the Student Judiciary representatives to do their jobs.

“[Diversity committee members] had no discussion in these. This is not a representation of us; it is a representation of Chair Magallon and whoever he conferred with,” Rep. Mia Akers said.

The overturned resolutions will be returned to the Diversity Committee for further discussion and review.

“The people whose job it is to [make viewpoint violation judgements], a group that once ruled in favor of MCSC, found there was no viewpoint violation,” Plamann said.

Council also approved the Student Activity Center Governing Board budget, as well as funding for African Student Association’s 10th annual Africa Night.