Mayor Dave suggests city buy 100 block

As the contentious plans for the 100 block of State Street continue to stir debate in the city amid new suggestions for the future of the block, a former mayor explored the possibility of the city purchasing the contested buildings.

Last week, former Madison Mayor Dave Cieslewicz suggested the city buy the six buildings that would be either renovated or demolished under the 100 block plans.

In recent months, the Block 100 Foundation, a private non-profit, has been proposing to redevelop or demolish six buildings on the 100 block of State Street.

George Austin, developer for the 100 block projects, said the likelihood that the city would buy the buildings from the Block 100 Foundation is very slim.

“I would assume that a purchase agreement would have to be arrived at,” said Austin. “In this case, the Block 100 Foundation and the city would have to agree to it.”

Ald. Marsha Rummel, District 6, who sits on the city’s Urban Design Commission, said she was unsure of the effects a city purchase of the 100 block would have on Madison’s downtown area, but conceded she would like to see the city become the owner of such historic buildings.

“I agree with most of what [Cieslewicz] said,” Rummel said. “But I don’t really know how to forecast what this would do for the downtown [area].”

Rummel said she has heard no talk of the city buying any of these buildings right now and the idea is not officially on the table.

However, if the city were to reinvest in these properties and sell them back in the private market, they would need to find someone willing to reinvest a lot of money, similar to the Block 100 Foundation, said Rummel.

“Each building has a lot of age and distress,” she said. “We would need to find someone who would put in the time and money to refurbish them if they were sold again.”

Rummel said a city move to buy the property would be a turn away from the current proposal up for the city’s consideration. Austin said he could picture no scenario in which this city purchase would happen.

He believes the city is in a much better position for a private non-profit, such as the Block 100 Foundation, to improve and renovate the buildings and increase the tax base.

“I’m not sure the idea of the city buying these buildings has any base in reality,” Austin said. “I don’t think it’s a serious question.”

When asked about the idea of a city purchase of these six buildings, Eric Sundquist, a member of the Plan Commission, said that kind of proposal is outside of the hands of the commission.

The proposition has also not been taken up by any city committees.

“This is just an idea at the moment,” said Rummel. “I don’t know where it’s going to go.”