Williams named to ACE commission

A prominent University of Wisconsin official was appointed to a three-year term on the American Council on Education’s Commission on Inclusion.

Damon Williams, UW’s vice provost for diversity and climate and chief diversity officer, was named to the committee, which aims to provide advice to ACE on matters pertaining to diversity and inclusion.

This includes the design and implementation of programs and review of issue briefs and other publications along with serving as presenters, conveners and facilitators for ACE leadership programs, according to a UW statement.

Diana Cordova, assistant vice president of leadership programs at ACE, said the committee’s responsibilities include giving feedback on programs.

“Commission members will be providing feedback on several new programs and initiatives that the council will be launching later this year when we meet later this week during the ACE annual meeting to be held in Los Angeles,” Cordova said.

The committee is comprised of 30 members. Twenty-three of the members are college and university presidents, with seven being non-presidents and a few being chief diversity officers.

In the UW statement, ACE senior vice president for leadership and lifelong learning Gretchen Bataille said she is excited for the recent appointments to the committee.

“ACE is grateful to the presidents and senior leaders who have agreed to serve on these advisory commissions. We know they will bring great insight into how ACE can best tackle the challenges facing American higher education today,” she said.

The agenda for ACE’s diversity and inclusion commission, according to the UW statement, involves the ACE Women’s Network, leadership programs for women and administrators of color, and initiatives to foster greater collaboration between the international and diversity areas in college and university and campuses.

In addition, the agenda will include general research on the status of minorities in higher education, according to the statement.

Williams leads a division of four academic programs and dozens of specialists dedicated to inclusive excellence initiatives. This includes some of the nation’s largest and unique recruitment and retention programs for underrepresented and first-generation college students along with commanding university-wide diversity initiatives, according to the statement.

Factors included in William’s appointment included the desire to represent the full range of ACE membership and having concentrated knowledge or interests, according to the statement.

Cordova said she is excited on behalf of ACE to welcome Williams to the committee.

“We solicited nominations last December amongst our membership and selected individuals with distinguished records and credentials in the area of diversity,” she said. “We are delighted to have Dr. Williams as a member of the commission given his expertise in the subject and his sustained commitment to access and inclusion.”

ACE was founded in 1918 and provides leadership on higher education issues and influences public policy through advocacy.

“ACE is the leading association representing college and university presidents from all sectors of higher education,” Cordova said. “We have around 1,800 member institutions and are headquartered in Washington, D.C.”

ACE represents more than 200 related associations worldwide.