UW professor receives international award

A retired University of Wisconsin professor will receive an internationally recognized award for his work promoting relations between Germany and the United States. 

Former UW professor Daniel Bromley won the Reimer L?st Award for International Scholarly and Cultural Exchange and will receive it at a ceremony hosted by the president of Germany in June.

Bromley was a professor of agriculture and applied economics at UW and has been working in Germany teaching and conducting research for many years.

The Alexander von Humboldt Foundation and the Fritz Thyssen Foundation gave the Reimer L?st award, which recognizes outstanding humanities scholars and social scientists promoting bilateral relations between Germany and other countries.

When he found out about his achievement in November, Bromley said he was teaching at Humboldt University of Berlin. He said he felt satisfied and a sense of humility when he was notified.

Upon receiving the award, winners are invited to spend a year in Germany and are given 50,000 Euros to use in aiding their expenses.

According to a UW statement, his career has included serving as a consultant to the Global Environment Facility, the World Bank, the Ford Foundation and the U.S. Agency for International Development, among other positions.

He was also an adviser in the 1990s to Nelson Mandela’s party in South Africa during apartheid, the statement said.

Bromley said he has seen a difference in employee and management relations in his experiences in the U.S. and Germany.

“Employee-management relations in Germany (and Europe) are much more congenial than here in the U.S.,” he said. “Most German companies have employees on their boards of directors, and therefore employees are much more involved in firm decision-making than is the norm in the U.S.”

While at UW, Bromley taught an undergraduate course called “The Environment and Global Economy” and a graduate course called “Institutional Economics,” which involved the “legal foundations of capitalism.”

Bromley said he is conducting research on the continuing process of the reunification of the former East Germany and West Germany.