WSUM reflects on station’s life

WSUM_MM
Michael Voloshin and Matt Rockwell, WSUM members, gather at Union South Wednesday to commemorate the station’s 10th anniversary. Rockwell will be leaving the station in the near future after seven years of helping the station grow.[/media-credit]

The University of Wisconsin student radio commemorated its 10-year anniversary Wednesday with events at Union South, celebrating its first broadcast from Vilas Hall on Feb. 22, 2002, at 2:22 p.m.

WSUM struggled to start up as a student radio station, as five different stations strove to gain status on campus between 1952 and 1993. Each station failed because of monetary issues or troubles with the Federal Communications Commission.

In 1993, WSUM received support from journalism professor James Hoyt and Dave Black, WSUM general manager, who would ultimately aid in the creation of the station.

Steve Horn, WSUM promotions director, also said the radio station faced a major debate over gaining the rights to build a radio tower. However, Horn said WSUM staff worked tirelessly to provide students with the opportunity to broadcast.

“I’d like to think our growth proves to everyone who worked so hard that their determination was worth it, and that thousands of students and community members have benefited from their efforts,” Horn said.

Today, WSUM is a national award-winning radio station with 24-7 programming of music, talk and sports shows.

The station has served thousands of UW students and Wisconsin residents, giving listeners a wide range of programs and students many opportunities to learn about broadcasting, Horn said.

“Over the last 10 years, we’ve grown from the stereotypical, dirty, college radio station when we were above Urban Outfitters on State Street to a stunning, high-tech, nationally renowned station that has always provided an incredible source for alternative music and talk to the Madison community,” Horn said.

WSUM members are excited to show off the new studio to former members, WSUM Assistant Program Director Justin Barney said.

“It is also going to be really exciting for former DJs, executive management members [and others] to see our new studio,” Barney said. “Before we moved into 333 East Campus Mall, the digs weren’t so nice, and it will be cool to show them where we are now.”

Barney has worked on the broadcast for the past year, which is one of the reasons he is looking forward to the 10-year anniversary.

Barney added as the music assistant program director, he will have the opportunity to talk to music directors before him to discuss past projects at the radio station and current student work.

“Since the staff is made up of students who come and go, the 10-year anniversary is a chance for all of us to come together and celebrate what we have all contributed our small parts to,” Barney said.

Horn said the station’s 10-year anniversary is incredibly significant because the decade is not a long time in the radio world, and WSUM has made a great deal of progress in that amount of time.

“The changes we made since 2002 are monumental,” Horn said, “but I can’t even begin to image how incredible WSUM is going to be in 2022.”