Council votes down USSA membership

asm_RH
UW College Republicans Chairman Jeff Snow addresses the committee, arguing Rep. Leland Pan’s public comments on conservatives reflect poorly on ASM.[/media-credit]

At a special meeting Wednesday night, the University of Wisconsin student government voted down a proposal that would allow the United States Student Association $10,000 in membership funding.

The referendum, sponsored by Council Chair Allie Gardner, asked students to decide whether to allocate $10,000 in the Associated Students of Madison internal budget for membership for USSA, a nationwide student organization based in Washington, D.C.

Chief Justice Kathryn Fifield said the referendum language would be clear to students on what is being asked and make the proposition easy to understand.

“What’s the logic behind telling students what amount they [individually] have to pay”? Fifield said. “Our job is to provide enough information without additional information that may favor one side.”

Rep. Tom Templeton voiced his concern for the referendum, asking how students would be made knowledgeable of it. It would be voted on during this year’s spring elections.

Templeton further questioned whether ASM would be able to prevent student organizations from using funding to campaign for either side.

The referendum was voted down by a vote of 13 to seven, but does not affect the $15,000 in transportation funding already granted to the group.

Also addressed at the meeting during open forum was a strongly worded Facebook comment posted by Rep. Leland Pan in regard to conservatives and Republicans. UW College Republicans Chairman Jeff Snow appeared before the council to voice his discontent with the affair.

Snow said the comment reflects poorly on ASM and its representatives.

“My sincerest apologies to [the College Republicans] and [ASM representatives],” Pan said. “I hope we can work together in the future, I realize the things I say reflect on the people I work with.”

Gardner also spoke in open forum to bring forward ASM and UW’s failure to handle issues of multiculturalism appropriately.

According to Gardner, events such as the mock lynching that took place in June produce strong effects and then are moved past. She said the effects of such events will be longer lasting because of a lack in openness about ethnic issues.

“I think our campus has a lot of work to do when it comes to multicultural issues,” Gardner said. “I think we have to reach out to other organizations on campus and be more comfortable bringing up these issues.”

Wisconsin Public Interest Research Group representative Sarah Gorsline also presented to council members the “Hunger Clean Up” event, participated in by UW along with other universities and organizations.

“Hunger Clean Up” is a month-long event that aims to raise money for the Porchlight Foundation and to house families in need.

Gorsline added UW has won the past three or four years of the competition, reaching their goal of $10,000 raised. This year’s competition takes place April 14.

Legislative Affairs member Maria Giannopoulos announced committee members will be attending a culmination meeting with city police and others involved in the Mifflin Block Party event. At this point Giannopoulos said the committee is looking for a sponsor for the event.