Crime in Brief

View Crime in Brief: Feb. 21, 2012 in a larger map

LANGDON STREET

Drunken Driving

A 20-year-old man was arrested last Saturday for fleeing an officer, resisting arrest, obstructing and drunken driving, according to a Madison Police Department report.

The man was reported to be driving wildly on Gorham Street when an officer attempted a traffic stop on the suspect, who then began racing down Langdon Street.

The driver ran out of his car and attempted to flee at the corner of Lake Street and Langdon Street, the report said. The officer caught up with the subject, who was attempting to enter a residence on North Blake Street.

“He resisted arrest, and an electronic control device was used on the man,” MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said. “He was arrested for his second drunk driving charge.”

A crowd of about 15-20 people surrounded the area and refused to move away, the report said. The officers used a form of pepper spray to disperse the crowd and safely move the subject to the vehicle.

The suspect hit multiple parked cars before the officer first observed his driving, the report said.

UNIVERSITY AVENUE

Retail Theft

More than $2,000 worth of liquor has been stolen from a local store during a rash of thefts, DeSpain said. 

University Liquor, located at 525 University Ave., has had a number of smaller thefts throughout the past few weeks, he said. 

MPD has obtained surveillance photos of two suspects from a theft occurring the afternoon of Feb. 14, DeSpain said. Anyone with information on the two men is encouraged to call Madison Area Crime Stoppers at 608-266-6014.

WEST JOHNSON STREET

Battery

A 23-year-old woman was struck, thrust to the ground and kicked Saturday evening on the 400 block of West Johnson Street, according to a report.

“The woman was punched at about 7 p.m.,” Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said. “However, no serious lacerations or any other serious bodily injuries occurred. This was an isolated incident, and the Madison Police Department is working on strategies to alleviate these incidents in the future.”

According to the report, the victim was unable to explain what her attacker looked like.

DeSpain said it was unusual for such an attack to occur at 7 p.m. because he said there are typically many people out in the area.

WEST WASHINGTON AVENUE

Robbery

An 84-year-old resident of Metropolitan Place was nearly robbed in his condominium Sunday morning, an MPD report said.

According to the report, the suspect pretended he was a resident and the victim allowed him to enter the condo building.

DeSpain said the stranger reportedly followed the older man into the recycling room and attempted to rob him of his money.

Another resident attempted to enter the recycling room while the crime was occurring, the report said. The suspect proceeded to block the resident from entering with a Dumpster, which he shoved in front of the door.

The victim took this distraction as a chance to safely flee the scene through another door. The suspect also left and failed to steal anything, the report said.

“The victim wasn’t injured at all,” DeSpain said.

KOHL CENTER

Injury

This past Saturday, a student’s life was saved at the Kohl Center when they went into cardiac arrest.

A University of Wisconsin Police Department statement released yesterday said officers received report of an individual in the student section having a medical issue during a hockey game at the Kohl Center.

When officers assigned to the section located the individual, they attempted to provide medical aid when the subject went into cardiac arrest, the statement said.

Paramedics from the Madison Fire Department arrived and used a defibrillator to revive the individual, and according to the statement, the quick actions and fast response from officers and paramedics saved the student’s life.