New School of Nursing named for philanthropist and longtime educator

While the new School of Nursing building is poised to be an ground-breaking, state-of-the-art facility, its namesake has a history deeply rooted in the Madison area and the nursing profession. 

Cooper – who is now 91 years old – is currently the largest independent donor to the University of Wisconsin School of Nursing. In 2000, she obtained her sister’s estate when she passed away. She has now donated it, as well as her own estate, to help in the efforts to create the new building, UW Foundation Director of Development for the School of Nursing Coleen Southwell said.

Dean Katharyn May said in a UW statement the School of Nursing is honored to be able to name the new building after Cooper, citing her as one of nursing’s greatest national resources.

Southwell said her generosity in financial contributions is not the principal reason in naming the new facility in her honor.

“More importantly, Cooper really personifies the School of Nursing in many ways,” Southwell said.

Southwell said Cooper has a close relationship with the School of Nursing, as she has known all five deans.

Cooper personifies the Wisconsin Idea because of her strong interest in continuing education, which has led nurses around the country to revere her work, Southwell said.

Cooper is a long-time resident of Wisconsin, according to the UW statement. She is a member of Madison East High School’s graduating class of 1937. Cooper became a professor in the UW School of Nursing in 1948 after completion of her B.S. degree in nursing in 1946 at UW.

Cooper’s life accomplishments include induction into the American Nurses Association Hall of Fame in 2000, as well as obtaining the title of a “Living Legend” in 2003 by the American Academy of Nursing, according to the statement.

The ceremonial groundbreaking of the new building for the School of Nursing is scheduled for April 21, and the first classes in the building should begin in Fall 2014 after the building’s completion in summer 2014, Southwell said.

The new building will also host innovative technology, including a large active learning classroom big enough for a full class of nursing and medical students to learn how to work as a team, Southwell said.

“It’s a new way of learning, and that is one of the hallmarks of the new building,” Southwell said.

In addition, Southwell mentioned the new building will include a health lab, a hospital suite and a clinic.

According to the statement, other donors contributing to the effort to create the new building are the UW Hospital and Clinic, the UW School of Medicine and Public Health, and the Rennebohm Foundation. Their donations added up to $8.2 million.

The UW System Board of Regents granted approval of naming the building after Cooper in a meeting on Feb. 10.