SSFC approves budget for student childcare group

A branch of the University of Wisconsin student government approved the Child Care Tuition Assistance Program budget Thursday night after hearing two options for the funding and also heard the proposal for the space allocation branch of the Associated Students of Madison.

During last night’s meeting, the Student Services Finance Committee approved the budget for CCTAP, which provides financial assistance to parents going to school who need childcare. CCTAP proposed two budgeting options to the committee this past Monday, but committee members agreed the second incarnation was more thought out.

“I think that this is a very good budget as is. It will serve more users this way,” Vice Chair Chase Wilson said.

During the meeting, SSFC also heard a budget presentation for Student Activity Center Governing Board from SACGB Chair Brianna Barth.

The main change in the 2012-2013 proposed budget was the ending of the custodial contract with University Health Services, with extra shifts added for SAC front desk staff to compensate for the contract ending.

Additional items in the SACGB budget include funding for a new desktop computer, decreased funding for advertising and funding for an alert system in the SAC in case of emergency.

“We thought this was a worthwhile investment. Right now, if there is some kind of emergency in the building we have to alert UHS to do the announcement, and sometimes when students are in the building, UHS isn’t open,” Barth said.

SSFC Rep. Cale Plamann calculated the total savings to be around $91,000, but SSFC will officially vote on the SACGB budget at the next meeting.

In addition to voting on the CCTAP budget and the governing board hearing, the committee heard from UW student Kevin Pickett in open forum regarding a Co-sponsorship Form Exemption form between the Wisconsin Union and University Housing.

Pickett requested an increase in budget strictly for food, as it is around $8.50 per person to eat at the Union.

“I approve this because I know that last year we were not comfortable with such a high food budget for this program,” Wilson said. “We probably told them last year to seek out co-sponsorships, and that is what they have done.”

Plamann agreed, and said it did not seem to him that the group was trying to short students.

SSFC will vote on a final decision on the SACGB budget during its next meeting on Monday.