Candidates start race to fill Kohl’s Senate seat

On May 13, four-term incumbent Sen. Herb Kohl announced he would retire at the end of his term and not seek reelection in 2012. Kohl, a Democrat who owns the Milwaukee Bucks and is a founder of the Kohl’s department store chain, will be 77 in 2012.

The seat has been in Democratic hands since 1957 but could be a major victory for Republicans trying to take control of the Senate.

On the Democrat’s side, U.S. Rep. Tammy Baldwin, D-Madison, announced her intention to run for the seat Sept. 6. She has been the Democrat’s clear frontrunner for the nomination since entering the race. If she wins, Baldwin would be the first openly gay person to serve in the U.S. Senate.

Although many Wisconsin progressives were hoping former Sen. Russ Feingold would run for the seat, Feingold announced he would not enter the race in August. He has since endorsed Baldwin for the seat.

On the Republican side, former Wisconsin Gov. Tommy Thompson entered the race Dec. 1, inspiring countless “Tommy vs. Tammy” headlines across the media.

Former Congressman Mark Neumann and Speaker of the Wisconsin State Assembly Jeff Fitzgerald, R-Horicon, have also confirmed their candidacies for the seat.