UW slam poets advance to national competition

poetslam_ZL
Poets competed in the Just Bust! slam poetry competition to vye for five spots to defend UW\’s national title, which was first won in 2010.[/media-credit]

Five University of Wisconsin students were chosen to be part of the UW Slam Team to defend the university during the 2012 College Unions Poetry Slam Invitational as part of Friday night’s Just Bust performance.

These five students were UW sophomores Nakila Robinson and Myriha Burton, and UW freshmen Eli Lynch, Michael Penn II and Sarah Bruno. The event consisted of the first round of the slam finals, open mic, a special appearance by Jamaica Osorio and closed with the second round of the slam finals.

Five additional finalists competed in the UW Slam Team finals, which were held in the Multicultural Student Center lounge in front of an audience of over one hundred people.

According to Danez Smith, a Multicultural Arts Initiative student liaison, UW’s Multicultural Student Coalition held its first slam for the CUPSI 2008 competition in the fall of 2007.

“[The slam was held not just] to provide UW poets a venue to showcase their talent but also to have an opportunity to travel and showcase their talent nationally,” Smith said. “We have such a high level of artistry here that it was only a matter of time before it happened.”

UW has had a rewarding experience when it comes to CUPSI competitions in the past, he said.

According to Smith, UW took home third place as well as an award for the most innovative team and a Spirit of the Slam award in 2008. In 2009, UW took home second place and in 2010, the UW team became national champions, Smith said.

Burton said she was looking forward to representing UW’s strong reputation and is grateful for the chance to travel to the University of La Verne in California for the eleventh annual competition this April.

“UW has a legacy in these competitions, and it is something to live up to,” Burton said.

Bruno, Burton’s teammate, said she was eager to begin working with the other four members of the team.

“I am excited to write and work on a team where everyone loves the same thing I do,” she said.

The event began as a monthly open mic in 2007 to provide a space for poets and musicians on the UW campus, where Smith said many talented individuals lack venues to “share, grow and have fun.”

“We encourage everyone to come out and kick it with us and perform,” Smith said. “First time performers are not only welcomed but given more love.”