Public hearings on Wis. health care cuts kick-off next week

A series of public hearings on the substantial cuts to state health care programs is set to kick-off next week in northeastern Wisconsin.

According to a statement from Sen. Jim Holperin, D-Eagle River, the hearing is the first in a series held around the state to allow the public to ask questions regarding the $554 million cuts to BadgerCare and Medicaid programs.

“[There] is no question additional efficiencies must be identified for the program to remain viable, but is the Department of Health Services making the right choices”? Holperin said in the statement.

The cuts to BadgerCare will raise co-payment prices and could leave 64,000 Wisconsin citizens, including 29,000 children without coverage.

Andrew Welhouse, spokesperson for Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, R-Juneau, said Republicans in Congress have been trying to reach a balance between what programs the government provides and what the public is responsible for with regard to BadgerCare and Medicaid.

He said the cuts made to the state’s health care programs would not have been necessary if past legislators had not chosen to dramatically increase the spending on these programs.

“For years the state budget has been built on expanding government programs. Now those programs are no longer as efficient as expected.”

This hearing follows the Joint Finance Committee’s decision in early November to cut the funding to the BadgerCare budget in an effort to make the DHS more efficient and help decrease the state budget deficit.

JFC Co-Chair Robin Vos said during the initial JFC hearing that the cuts were innovative and the time for social justice through government money is over. He added the deadline was a wise addition to the budget.

The public hearing is scheduled to start at 4:30 p.m. in the LRC Theater of Nicolet College in Rhinelander and will last for two hours or until everyone who wants to speak has spoken. Various legislators and supporters of BadgerCare will be in attendance, Welhouse said.

The public is encouraged to attend with any questions or concerns they may have regarding BadgerCare or Medicaid cuts and how they will be affected, according to the statement.

More information about the hearing can be found at the SaveBadgerCare website.