GAB warns against vandalizing recall petitions

The top election officials in the state issued warnings this week against individuals planning to destroy or not turn in circulating petitions to recall Gov. Scott Walker.

The Government Accountability Board said Thursday any claims or complaints of crimes or conspiracy to commit crimes in relation to tampering with official petitions could lead to felony charges.

On Thursday morning, the Madison Police Department reported an incident called in by Recall Walker petitioners of a man ripping up a petition after pulling over on the 800 block of South Midvale Boulevard.

According to the police report, the petitioners were carrying signs and asking people to pull over to sign a recall form. The man, who drove a red pickup truck, pulled over, tore up the petition and then drove away.

Petitioners were able to get the license plate number of the pickup truck and called authorities. MPD has not found the driver, but according to the report, destroying a petition is a federal offense punishable by up to three-and-a-half years in prison and/or a fine of up to $10,000. The torn up petition had three signatures on it.

At the time of the incident, the report said, petitioners were following legal guidelines set out by MPD for collecting signatures.

While the GAB’s warning in this case might serve to protect Democrats’ interests, Democratic Party of Wisconsin spokesperson Graeme Zielinski said the fraudulent tactics were a part of the Republican majority’s plan to intimidate Wisconsinites through fear and confusion.

“This is part of a bigger effort to create an atmosphere of fear and confusion. Is it happening? Yes. Is it illegal? Highly. Is it going to work? I don’t think so,” Zielinski said. “The people of Wisconsin aren’t going to sit around anymore.”

Republican Party of Wisconsin spokesperson Ben Sparks said in a statement there have been multiple incidents of improper use of government resources by public employees in connection with the recall effort.

Sparks added in the statement that the Republican party will continue to diligently investigate claims of this kind of misconduct and urge citizens to report any suspicious activity they see.

University of Wisconsin political science professor Donald Downs said the destruction of petitions seemed like a very serious accusation, and if a recall were to take place there would be large impacts on the state of Wisconsin and the democratic process.

“[A recall] may further or lessen political turmoil in the state; it’s hard to tell,” said Downs, who is a Badger Herald adviser. “No matter what the impact on the state, I can say it would be an expensive endeavor to have to hold another election.”

Downs added this is the first time in United States history this many recalls without criminal charges have happened in one state, and that may impact the Democratic landscape of broader politics.

“It seems to me recalls should be used for rare occasions.” Downs said. “We could start seeing a shift in how recalls are used, and that could have a possible impact on the democratic process.”

Walker’s office declined to comment on the destruction of petitions and said all questions should be directed to the majority party officials.