State Street plans have yet to charm some local stores

neighborhoods_ZL
George Austin, the project manager for the 100 Block of State Street renovations, speaks during Monday night’s Downtown Neighborhood Meeting. Austin was a staunch defender of the benefits he said he believed the project will provide.[/media-credit]

Proposed renovations to a section of State Street and North Fairchild Street sparked debate among Madison residents at a meeting last night.

Members of the 100 Block Foundation presented more specific details concerning the project to the Downtown Neighborhood Association.

George Austin, project manager of the 100 Block Foundation, stressed his desire to maintain the architectural character of State Street throughout the presentation.

“Our purpose tonight is to present a proposal for North Fairchild and State Street,” he said. “[It] builds on our past but looks to our future. … Think of it in that context.”

He called the project a “truly rare opportunity,” and he argued the renovations would positively impact the city monetarily. He said he further believed the renovations would complement the reconstruction of the Central Public Library.

The first floor of all the buildings to be renovated would still be reserved for retail use, Austin said. He said upper levels would be set aside for office space.

Austin also commented that the renovation project was a nod to landscape architect John Nolan’s model city for Madison in 1911.

Doug Hursh, director of design for Potter Lawson Inc., an architectural firm also involved in the project, highlighted specific details concerning the facades of the structures in the area.

He juxtaposed the original facades with their current ones and then showed elevation sketches of what future facades would look like.

Austin’s proposal provoked both praise and criticism among attendees.

Lubna Azad, owner of Vic’s Corn Popper at 127 State St., said she was concerned with the project. She was unsure whether her store would survive during the renovations.

“We’re facing having to move,” she said. “Our store has been there for 30 years. It’s going to cost us tens of thousands of dollars to find a location we can afford.”

Some attendees felt the project would significantly alter the character of businesses in the area.

“I’m concerned that this development will chase away the local business and bring in corporate chains,” said Bob Klebba, a downtown resident. “The rents would be too high to be able to rent out in this space.”

Some attendees said they were optimistic about the plan and argued it would be beneficial for all parties involved.

Timothy Kamps, a violinist with the Madison Symphony Orchestra, said the project would have a positive effect on the Overture Center. He called the plan a “philanthropic vision” that would “add a great deal to this block.”

Other attendees were concerned about the fact this project would renovate certain landmarked buildings in the area. Austin responded by saying the benefits would ultimately outweigh the losses.

“We don’t take removing a landmark lightly. To do so requires you to put something in its place, something that has [more] value,” he said.

Austin was also open to possible alterations to the plans.

He said that construction would take place between April 2012 and summer 2013, pending city approval.