Basset Neighborhood Association hears project proposals

The Bassett Neighborhood Association met yesterday to review two development projects for further renovations to the Echo Tap bar and the construction of a new apartment building at Lorillard Court.

The association first discussed the proposed 10-foot extension to the patio and a renovation of the basement of the Echo Tap, a bar on West Main Street. At the meeting, owner Patrick Rynes described the problems he had during renovation efforts.

“This has been the most stressful summer of my life,” Rynes said.

Rynes elaborated on the difficulties he faced with the structural integrity of neighboring businesses keeping him from extending his basement. 

Rick Milburn of J.H. Findorff & Son Inc. supported Rynes in describing the roadblocks Rynes faced in his renovations of the Echo Tap.

Milburn went on to point out the specific structural problems the bar faced when renovating its basement.

Ald. Mike Verveer, District 4, favored the former renovations to Echo Tap, though he was not necessarily opposed to the new plans.

“The original proposal that was passed by the neighborhood association was more attractive than the one [now],” Verveer said. “Part of the proposal to extend patio, which became popular this summer, will have to go back to review commission.”

The association also considered a project for a new apartment complex at Lorillard Court. Christopher Schramm of Urban Land Interests introduced the apartments as similar to high-quality urban apartments found in large cities.

“We went to Milwaukee; we went to Minneapolis. There are a lot of urban projects happening,” Schramm said.

The new complex will have about 120 apartment-style units, according to Schramm.

Schramm responded to some residents’ claims that the Basssett neighborhood is saturated with apartments by saying “there is a zero percent vacancy for high-quality apartments.”

“We are trying to get this through the process by the spring of 2013, May or June,” he said.

Verveer expressed contentment with the work ULI has done in previous projects.

“They have done good development work in the past,” he said. “They certainly do a good job managing apartments.”

ULI was asked to come back for a hearing again Nov. 14 because of low turnout at Monday’s meeting.

Both the extension to the Echo Tap and Urban Land Interests proposal are seeking passage from the neighborhood community in the coming weeks.