Former vice chancellor for administration dies

The University of Wisconsin’s former vice chancellor for administration, John Torphy, died in Tucson, Ariz., at the age of 71 Sunday.

Current Interim Chancellor David Ward appointed Torphy as vice chancellor in 1989. When making the final decision, there were five people to choose from, Ward said. Prior to the interview, there were doubts Torphy would fit in with his sense of humor, but Torphy impressed the panel with his brilliance and genius-like abilities, Ward said.

Prior to being appointed vice chancellor for administration, Torphy held many key roles in Wisconsin’s government positions.

Torphy was the state budget officer in the Wisconsin Department of Administration from 1974 to 1975, administrator of the Division of Executive Services from 1975 to 1977 and the secretary of the Wisconsin Department of Administration from 1977 to 1979.

Before moving to government, Torphy worked as an AID Advisor and Peace Corps Volunteer in the Dominican Republic.

Directly before accepting the role as vice chancellor of administrations, Torphy worked as deputy secretary of the State Department of Health and Social Services and administrator of the State Division of Health until 1988, according to the Wisconsin Week.

Ward continued to work with John Torphy for 11 years during his past term as chancellor from 1989 to 2000.

“When everything seemed liked a sunken ship, John would figure out a completely new and unique way to solve the problem,” Ward said.

One of Torphy’s colleagues commented on his down-to-earth personality, his tendency to provide M&M’s, his sense of humor and relaxed clothing attire.

Stephen Lund, from the office of Human Resources, said Torphy was highly approachable and treated others with dignity.

“Trophy only wore a tie once in my 10 years working with him,” Lund added.

Lund said that although Torphy had a sense of humor with just about everything, he still had high respect for his employees and UW, providing lifelong brilliance to the university.

“He is the kind of guy I thought would never die, like he was a force of nature with lasting character,” Lund said.

Torphy continued to serve as UW’s vice chancellor of administration until 2003, when he retired and moved to Arizona.

According to a UW statement, Torphy is survived by his wife Helen, son Sean and brother Dan.