Crime in Brief

CAMP RANDALL

Badger Game Day

Saturday, the Badger Football game against University of Nevada-Las Vegas resulted in a multitude of alcohol-related citations, including underage alcohol, disorderly conduct, possession of a fake ID and assaultive behavior.

According to a University of Wisconsin Police Department release of game day statistics, 21 citations were issued and 18 students were arrested. In total, 39 people were ejected from the game.

UWPD Sgt. Aaron Chapin said this number of citations has been average for a day game in the past couple of years, but UWPD tries to educate students on the dangers of alcohol use and abuse so these numbers will fall.

“We work with the dean of students, UW health services, public students housing, etc.,” Chapin said.

UWPD and the dean of students enforce a “show and blow” policy for students who had been involved in an alcohol-related arrest at a game. This policy forces students to meet with the dean of students and submit to a breath test before they enter Camp Randall.

SOUTHWEST COMMUTER BIKE PATH

Robbery

Saturday evening, a 34-year-old Madison man was robbed while walking alone on one of the bike paths between Doty Street and Main Street.

According to a Madison Police Department report, three men wearing dark-colored hooded sweatshirts attacked the victim from behind and demanded his belongings. They implied having a firearm, but the victim did not observe one.

The suspects fled the scene with the victim’s wallet and phone.

Chapin said because UWPD and MPD have a limited number of resources, they try to inform people about safe practices on areas that have been hotspots for crimes, such as the bikepaths.

“We also help to design barriers and reduce obstructions so areas are less closed-off and less likely to be a target when someone is alone,” Chapin said.

MOLAND STREET

“Bizarre crime spree”

Thursday, a stranger was arrested for allegedly breaking into two homes on Moland Street, being found on the front porch of a third home and terrorizing the residents of all three.

An MPD report described the 34-year-old Madison man’s actions as a “bizarre crime spree.” The man, James M. Kruger, was found at all three homes and spoke of being chased by unknown men, needing to hide, wanting water and the use of a phone.

Kruger was found shirtless in one home and hiding in the closet of another home. After being arrested by an MPD officer, he rambled an assortment of bizarre statements, such as, “I’ll take you all the way down to Alabama.”

Kruger later said he had ingested an assortment of drugs and had been chased by some men from a bar.

SOUTH PARK STREET

Battery

Lorenzo C. Brown, a 24-year-old Madison man was arrested Thursday evening for battery, disorderly conduct and resisting and obstructing the law.

An MPD report said a 41-year-old Madison man intervened when Brown was battering a 39-year-old Madison woman. He pointed his handgun at Brown, saying he feared the woman would have been killed if he did not do something.

After being held at gunpoint, the suspect said he was only defending himself after the woman pulled a knife on him. When MPD officers arrived, the citizen was cooperative, but the victim yelled obscenities and threatened the officers.

Brown was arrested, and the victim did not suffer any serious injuries.

ELLESTAD DRIVE

Disturbance

A 20-year-old Madison man, Gregory Nelson, was arrested Wednesday for disorderly conduct and impersonating a police officer.

An MPD report said one of the victims, a 26-year-old Sun Prairie woman, had gotten into a dispute with Nelson’s father over the amount of a car repair shop bill, and that’s when Nelson came out. Nelson claimed to be a police officer to three victims and threatened to shoot them while yelling racial epithets.

Nelson had come out wielding a baton and telling the victims to leave the property. The victims called the police, and when they arrived on scene Nelson claimed to be a security guard and that he was ordering the victims off the premises with pepper spray, not firearms.