Athletes power through daunting Ironman race

Madison hosted the 10th annual Ironman Triathlon Sunday, bringing more than 45,000 spectators to line the streets of the city and watch more than 2,450 triathletes strive toward the finish line in front of the state Capitol.

The race began bright and early at 7 a.m., and participants had 17 hours to finish the course. The official race end time was set at midnight on Monday.

Even those who did not participate flooded the streets of Madison to check out the multitude of sponsored events throughout downtown. Many friends and family members of the participants wore unique shirts rooting for their loved ones, coloring the city’s streets.

The Ironman course includes a swim totaling 2.4 miles in Lake Monona, a 112-mile bike ride directly out of the lake to Madison’s west side and a 26.2 mile run stretching through the heart of downtown, Camp Randall and back to Capitol Square.

Thirty-eight-year-old Ezequiel Morales from Argentina was the Ironman champion of this year’s event. He swam in 55 minutes, biked in 4 hours and 51 minutes and ran in 2 hours and 53 minutes, totaling his race time at 8 hours, 45 minutes and 18 seconds.

“I enjoyed every step of the way,” Morales said just moments after crossing the finish line. “It was very hard, but I enjoyed it. The crowds at Wisconsin have been unbelievable.”

Morales said he plans to participate next year in the 2012 Ironman Triathlon in Hawaii, where the race originated in 1978.

Third place finisher Mac Brown of California had been training for the Madison Ironman for the last three months, according to his wife Meredith Brown, who was all smiles as her husband reached the finish line.

Meredith Brown said her husband participated in the 2009 Ironman in Madison and placed eighth. She said he has participated in more than eight triathlons total, including two in Hawaii and two in Wisconsin, but he still gets “jitters” before he races.

“I think they all must get nervous,” Brown said. “Exuding that much energy from your body for nine-plus hours has got to be nerve-racking.”

Meredith Brown said she and her husband absolutely love the race in Madison and were very excited about coming back this year. She said she always brings back treats from Fromagination on Capitol Square.

“It’s absolutely awesome here,” Meredith Brown said.

The first female finisher, 11th overall, was 35-year-old Jessica Jacobs from Wisconsin who had run 18 Ironman races and won the race in Florida last year. Her husband is currently serving in Iraq.

The awards banquet will take place at 11:30 a.m. today, honoring those who were brave enough to participate in the daunting event and can now be dubbed Ironmen.

The countless number of volunteers, many of whom were University of Wisconsin students, will also be honored with a sendoff party Monday evening.