Developing: Incident on Langdon Street

Madison Police Department officers responded Wednesday after an individual fell 150 feet from a Langdon Street roof, an incident witnessed by a gathered crowd of University of Wisconsin students.

MPD Lt. Marylou Ricksecker confirmed the individual was not a student but was a resident of Langdon Street.

She said the individual was taken to the hospital following the fall but would not confirm whether the incident was being considered a suicide attempt.

Ald. Scott Resnick, District 8, said he received a report from MPD around 3 p.m. informing all the alders of the incident. He said MPD confirmed an individual had fallen off the rooftop at 150 Langdon Street earlier in the day and had sustained life-threatening injuries.

Resnick said the victim was not a UW student but did have prior suicidal thoughts.

“The fact that other students saw it happen is just horrific,” Resnick said. “I would urge anyone that has any reservations about this to seek UHS services – it’s just horrible.”

He said as of the 3 p.m. incident report from MPD, the individual was not expected to survive the injuries.

UHS provides free counseling services for UW students and faculty. Students can call 608-265-5600 to schedule counseling appointments or seek help from the emergency 24-hour counseling services.