Bikers congregate on Capitol Square to rumble against Walker

The decibel level inside Capitol Square was heightened Saturday afternoon by the clamor of more than 300 motorcyclists revving their engines in opposition to Gov. Scott Walker’s controversial plan to limit public union collective bargaining rights.

Sponsored by AFL-CIO and Milwaukee Ironworkers Local 8, the event, dubbed “Thunda Around the Rotunda,” saw traditional motorcycles, mopeds and some cycles make a couple loops around Capitol Square, which was lined with motor enthusiasts and protesters alike.

Speakers at the event, including prominent Democratic and union leaders, bolstered attendance by emphasizing the connection between motorcycling, collective bargaining rights and the state of Wisconsin.

“There were two great things invented right here in the state of Wisconsin,” Rep. Cory Mason, D-Racine, told the crowd. “One of them is public sector collective bargaining rights and the other one is Harley Davidson.”

He added no governor “in his right mind” would attempt to eliminate either of those institutions.

Motorcylist Dino Lucas, a 50-year-old Madison water utility worker and union member, rode a Harley motorcycle Saturday. He said it was ridiculous that the governor limit their bargaining rights and ask them to pay more for pensions and health care.

“People don’t know how much we give for benefits already. We pay our fair share,” Lucas said.

Lucas said he already contributes 50 percent of his pension.

Matt Speer, 49, of Madison, rode into Capitol Square riding a black Ducati ST4, and has been at more than eight rallies protesting Walker’s bill curtailing bargaining rights. He runs a small business, and said he and other business owners benefit from unions because of the workers’ effect on the economy.

“If labor does well, we do well too,” Speer said. “If workers are well paid they make the economy roll.”

He said he thinks workers occasionally ask for too much, but rarely are all their requests met.

Other speakers at the event encouraged attendees to work hard to increase awareness of the upcoming recall elections that have the potential to unseat nine elected senators.

Senate Minority Leader Mark Miller, D-Monona, said the recall elections would be a referendum on Walker’s policies, but the final “nail in the coffin” would come in January when recall efforts against the Walker himself can begin taking place.