Crime in Brief

SOUTH PARK STREET 

Homicide Update

Although Madison Police Department officials said they have a “person of interest” in custody for the open homicide case from 318 S. Park St. this past weekend, investigators are still looking for additional suspects they believe were involved in the fatal stabbing.

MPD spokesperson Joel DeSpain said officers have established a number of people were involved in the fight, but they do not believe they have identified the person responsible for the homicide.

“The person of interest has been arrested on a probation warrant because we believe he was part of the fight, but at this point in time, we do not have probable cause to arrest him for homicide,” DeSpain said.

WEST TOWNE MALL 

Retail Theft

A Boston Store security guard was attacked with pepper spray Saturday afternoon while trying to stop a woman who had been caught shoplifting earlier that day, an MPD report said.

According to the report, the employee chased after the female suspect when she suddenly turned in the parking lot and sprayed the employee in his face, leading the victim to seek medical treatment.

The woman was previously stopped for allegedly removing security tags from male clothing items and putting merchandise into her handbag, the report said.

HIGHLAND AVENUE 

Arson

In collaboration with Madison Fire Department officials, MPD charged three teenage boys with arson after connecting them to a west side fire March 20.

According to a statement from MFD, it took firefighters 45 minutes to put out the fire on the 500 block of Highland Avenue, and the firefighters were forced to enter the building to ensure no homeless people had been inside the abandoned building.

“No one was injured in the fire, but firefighters face tough choices in circumstances where a fire has been burning for awhile before it is called in,” the statement said.

RANDOLPH DRIVE 

Robbery

Two men remain at large after robbing a 23-year-old Madison woman at gunpoint Monday morning, an MPD report said.

According to the report, the men forced their way into the woman’s Randolph Drive apartment with one carrying a long gun. The men stole money from the victim’s 26-year-old boyfriend and some of the victim’s jewelry.

Investigators believe the victim was targeted, DeSpain said.

“It is not uncommon in a home invasion that the victims are often targeted and may have some relation to the assailants,” he said.

WEST SIDE GROUP HOME 

Missing Person

MPD officers are searching for a 20-year-old Madison woman who went missing from a west side group home March 18.

DeSpain said individuals who know the missing woman have indicated it was not uncommon for her to leave the home for a week or so at a time, but said it is been a longer period of time than normal for her to walk away.

According to an MPD report, there is no indication the missing woman is the victim of foul play, but officers are asking for help looking for the woman, who stands 5’2″, weighs 200 pounds and speaks with a stutter.